Star Wars: The Force Awakens Megathread *SPOILERS PROBABLY!*

Comics, Movies, TV, DVDs and video games... this is the place to talk about 'em.
DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Social Media/GFX Handler

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Megathread *SPOILERS PROBABLY!*

Postby DJS » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Holy fuck I am excited for this film.

I have not seen it yet, but that's not to say it doesn't deserve it's own thread for those who have, and myself when I do see it (10:15pm, I've got the time and date imprinted in my mind.)

So yep- use this thread to discuss Episode VII, to give thoughts and maybe even a little review. I will join y'all tomorrow night with a review of my own.
New to XWA? Need management? Look no further...
Michael Swift
Supreme XWA Champion
Supreme XWA Champion

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Megathread *SPOILERS PROBABLY!*

Postby Michael Swift » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:00 am

I heard it is very different than the prequels. More showing, less telling, but some parts that the lack of exposition hurts it.
I get to watch it tonight, so I can give a review later, but that is what I have heard.
Alex_Krull

Postby Alex_Krull » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:21 am

I'm watching it tomorrow night so... FUCK YOU ALL THAT SPOILS IT FOR ME... BTW, I was told Yoda return from the death as a cyborg ninja and gets Galdalfs Wand and becomes the most powerful time lord ever!!!
:wgaf: Alex & Kristine Krull :wgaf:
:stongue: Join the #PushKrull movement :stongue:
SuperSnoopz

Postby SuperSnoopz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:54 pm

I accidentally spoiled it for a friend. Never saw any of the movies, including this one, so I jokingly said what I thought would be one of the least likely things to happen happened. And then I found out it did happen. Oops.
Michael Swift
Supreme XWA Champion
Supreme XWA Champion

Postby Michael Swift » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:35 pm

This movie was really good. My only complaint is that during parts of it, it had a really fanficy feel. Lots of fun though.
DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Social Media/GFX Handler

Postby DJS » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:57 am

So I've seen it. There will be spoilers ahead...

I absolutely loved it from start to finish. I think the acting, the directing and the overall story was just fantastic and JJ Abrams nailed the feel of Star Wars.

Now onto the spoilery bits- Kylo Ren might just be the biggest bastard I've ever seen in a film in my life ever I hope he dies or something horrid soon God I hate him I hate him.

*breath*

There was an audible gasp at my cinema when Han Solo was killed. Did tears come out of my eyes? Absolutely. I honestly didn't see it coming. I thought Luke would come back and have a Ben Kenobi moment and I was completely wrong. I did also like how Finn was a bit of a buffoon, but not completely useless in situations. Poe is a fucking boss though. Poe can stay.

Brilliant. Phantom Menace my arse.
Michael Swift
Supreme XWA Champion
Supreme XWA Champion

Postby Michael Swift » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:00 am

I had the opposite reaction about Kylo, up until the mask came off Kylo was a fine villain, but the second it came off I was unable to take him seriously. Like, I still want bad things to happen to him, but that is because his boss comes off like a monster, while I found Kylo to be a rich kid with daddy issues. Legit the worst villain in Star Wars.
Dan
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

Postby Dan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:36 am

I've no vested interest in Star Wars, nor any interest to be honest. But I have a question to pose that Max Landis brought up in a video on youtube. Would any of you call Rey a Mary Sue?
Michael Swift
Supreme XWA Champion
Supreme XWA Champion

Postby Michael Swift » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:07 am

Yeah, but it isn't the end of the world. A lot of the traits that made her one were in Luke an Anakin as well.
DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Social Media/GFX Handler

Postby DJS » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:17 am

Michael Swift wrote:I had the opposite reaction about Kylo, up until the mask came off Kylo was a fine villain, but the second it came off I was unable to take him seriously. Like, I still want bad things to happen to him, but that is because his boss comes off like a monster, while I found Kylo to be a rich kid with daddy issues. Legit the worst villain in Star Wars.

Exactly! He was like a petulant child. He was like every young guy who thinks they're invincible and awesome and then throws his toys out the pram when things don't go his way (or pull out the lightsaber and start smashing things). And I hated him for that. It takes a lot to make me actually hate a villain and want them to lose. I feel like films these days have people like to go for Loki, who's charming and witty, and I even slightly thought was in the right for his actions in the first Thor. And you know what? For a film like Star Wars, I don't want that kind of thing. There's no point creating a new Darth Vader or Darth Maul, because then you're just creating a new Darth Vader and I've already seen one of them. It's clear Snoke is the real big bad as Palpatine was, but portraying Kylo Ren in the way they did was very, very interesting and they can now explore a load of possibilities with him that they never would've been able to with Vader.

As for Rey being a Mary Sue, I can see how someone would make that connection. With that said I've always thought the Mary Sue concept is very unfair as absolutely any leading female character could basically get that title if you really analyse hard enough. She was likeable. All the new heroes were actually likeable.

Return to “Entertainment Chat”