The Giant 2020 Update Thread

XWA show and site updates from staff can be found here!
Rufus
Site Admin
Characters Handled: Kaida Kagome
Troy Spencer

The Giant 2020 Update Thread

Postby Rufus » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:47 am

Not. Dead. YET.

For real this time. To start, I'd like to extend an apology to all of you for the lack of communication recently. Speaking for myself, I've been ridiculously overloaded with work the past week, as everything kinda piled up due to the current situation we're all dealing with. BUT, that's no excuse for being completely off the grid, and for that I apologize and I'd like to take this opportunity to say that the best way to get in touch with me is by posting in the XWA Discord server or shooting me a PM on Discord. So if you have any questions, feedback, requests, whatever it is, just message me on there or you could PM me directly on our forums!

With all of that outta the way, let's get into the meat of this update. Thanks to our pal GiggityGopher, we now have full schedules for 2020. A schedule for all Massacre shows, all Supershows, and one schedule that combines both. So in case you're interested in only doing Supershows, or only doing Massacres, or both, we have threads for all your needs. You'll find helpful links for the aforementioned schedules, as well as links to the upcoming Massacre's sign-up thread, our Twitter account and Discord server at the end of this post. Now let's discuss how things are changing...

Scheduling Changes
As opposed to having several Massacres as well as a Supershow every month, we will now be running 2-3 Massacres a month, and the following month will be dedicated entirely to one Supershow. This will help prevent in-universe timeline issues, as well as letting people go all out on Supershows. You can still request to have a word limit on your match if both you and your opponent agree on it, but even if you get booked in a non-word limit match, you will still have 21 days to write and post it. This should hopefully help soften the load and encourage more activity.

When will Massacre cards be posted?
Every Massacre card will be posted on Friday, and you will have 10 days to submit your matches, meaning the match deadline will be on a Tuesday. Then there will be a 3 day period where your matches will be graded by staff, and all results will be posted on Thursday, which will be the in-character canon date for the show. The earlier you post your matches, the quicker the results will come out as the staff will have more time to properly review them.

When will Supershow cards be posted?
Every Supershow card will be posted on Friday, and you will have 21 days to submit your matches, meaning the match deadline will be on a Friday. Then there will be a 6 day period where your matches will be graded by staff, and all results will be posted on Thursday, which will be the in-character canon date for the show. As stated previously, the earlier you post your matches, the quicker the results will come out as the staff will have more time to properly review them.

Wait, why are staff grading our matches?
About that. Unfortunately, as time has went on, less and less people have been voting on matches. We've had several instances where matches were posted by every competitor, yet no one took the time to vote for months as we saw with Legends XX. To remedy this, we are trying out a new way of deciding our results, so the voting will be handled exclusively by staff. It'll be our job, so to speak, to make sure the winners are decided by Thursday when the results are posted. At this very moment, I will be the one taking charge of voting and deciding who posted the better match, with feedback of course. So don't expect the results to be simple "X. def. Y.". They will be as in-depth as possible, with constructive criticism to help you improve. And as always, if you have any follow-ups or have any issues with the results, or you would like further feedback, you can always message me and reach out. And if you would like to be part of a "Judging Committee", please contact me on Discord or through PMs on the forums and I'll get back to you. We've always had issues with voting, so we hope that this will be a remedy to that problem.

Promo Feedback
We've had several requests to change how promo feedback works. And honestly, we agree. You shouldn't have to create a separate feedback thread that links to your promo thread just for people to give feedback. And we understand that some members might feel like they're expected to give super in-depth feedback to the point where they end up not posting anything at all. So starting now, you can freely leave feedback on the promo threads directly. So you don't have to be super in-depth, you can just leave a comment like "hey, nice promo, dude!". No pressure. No worries. At some point soon, one of our admins will be moving the Content Feedback subforum to the archives to prevent any future confusion.

Who can we contact on staff? Who's active?
At the very moment, myself, Trace and Tempest are taking charge of running the site. You can contact us by sending a Private Message on here, but I heavily suggest for you to contact me on Discord so I can quickly get back to you. If you are an existing member of the staff and haven't been active, please reach out to me through Discord or PMs so we can further organize things. And hopefully, we will have some new faces joining the staff, and we will announce who they are very soon.

XWA: Not Dead Yet - Match Deadline Extension
Understandably, with the staff off the grid recently, some of you who were booked in matches were unsure of whether or not to post after the original match deadline. To remedy this, we are extending the match deadline until 11:59 PM PST, April 13th. So you all have until Monday night to submit your matches, and the results will be posted on April 16th, a day before the first Massacre of 2020 goes live!

The 2019 Piledriver Awards
This is a short one. It may be late, but the nomination thread for the 2019 Piledriver Awards is up!!! GO NOMINATE! And then VOTE when the voting begins! DO IT!

The Wrap-Up
Thank you all so much for your continued patience and feedback. Despite us dropping the ball on running the site, many of you still did your best to provide feedback and help close match threads, and I don't have the words needed to describe how thankful I am. Minka, Trace, Tempest, GiggityGopher, Dave, Phoenix, Oakster, pretty much all of you. Thank you. Any questions, feedback, anything, please hit me up on Discord and I'll get back to you. With all of this out of the way, let's bring XWA back stronger than ever!!!

Links:
Discord: https://discord.gg/3smbNJa
Twitter: https://twitter.com/XWA_BattleZone
2020 All-in-One Schedule: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8832
2020 Massacre Schedule: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8830
2020 Supershow Schedule: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8831
April 2020 Massacre Sign-Up: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=8833
2019 Piledriver Award Nominations: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=8829
Beautiful signature courtesy of the wonderful DaveyBoy!