[VOTE] Lord of the Ring Opening Round: Skye Healy vs. The Phoenix

The 2019 Lord of the Ring Summer Tournament begins, capped off by Dave O'Connor defending the World Television Championship against the returning Austin Carter!
RevolutionJones
XWA World Tag Team Champion
Characters Handled: A.J. Morales
Hyphy Machinery (Dontell Porter & Jason Moana)

[VOTE] Lord of the Ring Opening Round: Skye Healy vs. The Phoenix

Postby RevolutionJones » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:13 am

The road to Sacramento begins LIVE on...

LIVE! From the XWA BattleZone in Chicago, Illinois (1500 Capacity)
Broadcast exclusively on The Xperience!

XWA Lord of the Ring Opening Round, Group Two Match C

ImageImageImage

Skye Healy vs. The Phoenix

This match right here features a couple of new faces...well, one new face and one new mask, anyway. In one corner, we have Skye Healy, the Luchadorable interviewer-turned-wrestler who, at 22 years old, has already made her mark in Mexico and beyond in both professions. In the other, we have the enigmatic Phoenix, fresh off his training in Japan and ready for his breakout performance. Neither one has ever faced a test quite like this tournament, but with Albion Gale's improbable run to glory last year fresh in everyone's minds, we'd be wise to keep a close eye on this one...

Will the Phoenix rise to the occasion, or will Skye fly too high for him to keep up?

WORD COUNT:

--------
Deadline for matches is JUNE 24TH, 2019 at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time.
Voting will start at this time and conclude on JUNE 29TH, 2019 at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time.
[CST is one hour earlier. GMT is five hours later.]
SkyeHealy
Lord of the Ring Participant
Lord of the Ring Participant

Re: Lord of the Ring Opening Round: Skye Healy vs. The Phoenix

Postby SkyeHealy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:22 am

The lights in the arena glow with hues of pink and blue as we hear the crowd begin to stir with excitement. The lights and music mark the debut of one of the brightest young upstarts in wrestling today. The crowd in the arena sing along with the lyrics “WE DON’T EVEN HAVE TO TRY IT’S ALWAYS A GOOD TIME!”. Skye Healy hops out from behind the curtain with excitement in her eyes and a gigantic pearly white smile on her face.

“Making her way to the ring, from Vancouver, British Columbia, she is “The Aww-est Wrestler Alive”... “Luchadorable” SKYE HEALY!!!”

Like a manic ball of energy she hops and gestures to the crowd she’s finally made it. She points to the patch on her vest that says “I am Limitless” and gestures to the camera. She makes her way down the ramp, high-fiving anyone and everyone who’d reach their arms out. Laughing and smiling she does not one, but two laps around the ring giving high fives to everyone at ringside. Before stepping onto the apron, Skye gave a young girl a hug and giving her a t-shirt. Skye posed in the ring blowing a couple kisses to the fans before finally waiting in the corner for her opponent.

Mark Sanction: Folks, if this is your first time seeing Skye Healy, you are in for a treat. This rookie boasts plenty of wins over some well known figures in wrestling and as part of her excursion away from training, she’s come to XWA to take part in the Lord of the Ring tournament.

The lights in the arena completely black out once again. In the middle of the entrance ramp sits “The Phoenix”. As his theme builds and reaches it’s final climax, Phoenix begins his slow intense walk down the ramp to the ring.

“Making his way to the ring, from “The Phoenix’s Roost” and weighing 230 lbs, THE PHOENIX!!!!”

Skye is a little unnerved by the dramatic intensity but looks just as focused as her opponent. Phoenix bows to the ring before wiping his feet and entering. He questioningly looked over at his opponent, as if to say “Really? Her?”.

Tempest: This is “The Phoenix” and Mark, I gotta admit, I’m just as clueless as you are about this guy. He won’t say anything to backstage, to officials. He’s reserved, quiet, but you can feel that intensity.

He returned to his kneeling, seiza position in the corner awaiting the bell.

Mark Sanction: I'm telling ya, the energy in that ring right now….. It couldn’t be anymore opposite.

Tempest: For some reason, I’m agreeing with you. You have the always bubbly, always expressive, always annoying Skye Healy in one corner. Then you have the quiet, refined, intensity that The Phoenix brings. One has to wonder what’s bound to happen when these two collide. Which by the way, might I add, it’s Healy’s debut for XWA. Way to get thrown to the wolves kid.

Mark Sanction: I wouldn’t doubt the rookie just yet. Skye’s been on some pretty big stages before, but none have been quite the calibre that is the Lord of the Ring tournament. And Phoenix? Well who knows where he’s been.

XWA Lord of the Ring Opening Round
Skye Healy vs The Phoenix

The bell sounds as Phoenix slowly rises to his feet. Skye puffs out her chest to make her look bigger to match her opponent. The two meet in the middle of the ring, locking eyes in the center of the ring. Phoenix’s cold, menacing stare makes Skye back off for a second. However she quickly responds by opening her arms as wide as possible and walking toward Phoenix for a hug. Phoenix instead sends the rookie face first into the mat with a drop toe hold. Phoenix quickly floats over into a headlock on the prone Skye Healy. She rolls over onto her back, bringing Phoenix with her. Healy breaks the headlock and the two return to a standing position quickly after.

Healy begins a “Phoenix! Phoenix!” chant before locking up with her opponent. Phoenix pushes his much smaller opponent into the ropes. Referee calls for the break and Phoenix obliges. He feints a chop to Healy’s chest and backs off. It’s becoming obvious by his lackadaisical demeanor and body language that Phoenix doesn’t take Skye seriously at all. Skye stomps over puffing out her chest. Phoenix takes a wild swing, but Skye ducks. Irish whip by Skye gets reversed by Phoenix. Healy responds to a back body drop attempt with a school girl roll up! 1! Kick out by Phoenix. Phoenix is back to his feet as he swings again at Healy but she takes him down with reverse waistlock takedown. Trying to recover, Phoenix quickly bullies Skye down, but gets a couple back elbows to the gut for his troubles. Skye Healy with the headlock as Phoenix pushes her off into the corner, Skye floats over as Phoenix begins his pursuit. Skye off the ropes. Phoenix drop down but Skye jumps over. Off the ropes again as she slides under a big boot from Phoenix. Arm drag from Healy, arm drag from Phoenix, and they both attempt a dropkick and reach a stalemate in the middle of the ring.

Mark Sanction: The action is already hot and heavy with these two!

Tempest: Hate to admit when I’m right, but… well no I don’t. I told you these two would make a great opening round match.

Phoenix rolls to the outside, trying to regain his composure as Skye poses by herself in the middle of the ring. The Luchadorable One awaited her opponent to get to step back into the ring. The two collar and elbow tie up once more as this time it’s Skye who drags Phoenix over. Phoenix to his feet as he charged back at his opponent and connects with a right forearm. Skye responds with a flying forearm of her own but Phoenix ducked down and grabbed her in a rear waistlock. Phoenix tried to transition into a dragon suplex, but Skye countered with a victory roll. 1! 2! Kickout by Phoenix.

Phoenix delivered a jab to Healy’s ribs and then grabbed her head and took her over. Skye now has to fight from under her opponent as Phoenix dictates the pace and tries to slow her down.

Mark Sanction: Nothing fancy here, just Phoenix using that power to try and keep Healy down.

Tempest: I gotta say that I’m pleasantly surprised with the way this match has been so far. I think that what these two have given so far, I worry for whoever they face in the next round.

Phoenix has now transitioned his hold on Skye into a sleeper hold that she is fighting out of. A few elbows by Skye frees her up before she tosses Phoenix onto his butt with a judo style throw. Healy cartwheels as a transition and into a basement meteora. Phoenix is to his feet and blocks a swing by Skye, and responds with a knife edge chop that echoes around the arena. Skye doubles over, catching her breath, before responding with her own stiff overhead chop to the chest that cracks like lightning around the arena.

Tempest: GOOD LORD! DID YOU HEAR THAT?!

Phoenix doubles over this time, but fuels himself with fighting spirit and blasts off some stiff looking forearm shots that back Skye into the ropes. Phoenix whips Skye off, but only gets a tilt-a-whirl headscissors. Phoenix rolls to the outside. Skye pops to her feet, bounces off the ropes and connects with a big tope! Skye rolls Phoenix back in and attempts to get in herself when she’s cut off with a stomp to the back of the head.

Mark Sanction: Ooof, that stomp looked absolutely rough! Sends poor Skye’s face into the mat, easy way to lose a tooth, break a nose, or knock out your opponent.

Tempest: Guarantee that Phoenix was looking to do all three tonight.

He drags Skye to her feet and drops her on the back of her head with a dragon suplex. Cover by Phoenix!

1!

2!

Kickout by Skye

Phoenix maintains wrist control and looks to end it right here and now as he picks Skye up for a suplex, but Skye blocks it once, twice, before landing a few jabs to the ribs. Skye with a big boot that sends Phoenix bouncing off the ropes, Phoenix responds with a kick to the chest of Skye. Another flurry of knee strikes and elbows finally weakens Skye as Phoenix quickly and easily takes Skye up and straight down with a brainbuster!

1!

2!

Kickout by Skye!

Skye dazedly gets to her feet as Phoenix gets ready to hit another big move. He tucks Skye into the piledriver position, but Skye escapes and hits a flurry of chops and punches! Skye goes for a discus elbow, but Phoenix catches her again and attempts his double underhook facebuster finishing maneuver, but Skye Healy again breaks out and connects with a school boy roundhouse kick, dazing Phoenix. Skye isn’t finished as she bounces off the ropes, but gets caught with an out of nowhere Killing Strike Superkick from Phoenix.

Mark Sanction: And just like that it could be over for this rookie!

One..

Two...

SKYE KICKS OUT!!!

Tempest: You’re kidding me?! The heart and determination of Skye Healy won’t let her quit this match like that! She just took his best shot right under the chin and it almost got her! Phoenix was only a few milliseconds away from advancing in this tournament, but Skye Healy is not calling it a day now.

Mark Sanction: Phoenix looks distraught not even he can believe it!

Phoenix’s eyes nearly popped out of his head as his jaw hung open in disbelief! Phoenix berated the ref claiming that they had counted slow. His eyes locked again on the barely conscious body of Skye Healy. His brow furrowed, his eyes looked to be filled with fire as he readies himself to superkick Skye’s lights out for good. Skye slowly rises to her feet. Phoenix charges, but Skye catches the kick and takes Phoenix overhead with an exploder suplex into the corner. Skye wills herself on with claps from the fans as now it’s Phoenix’s turn to get to his feet in the corner. Skye charges it up and connects with the big boot across the masked face of Phoenix. He crumbles to the mat as Skye climbs to the top rope. She takes off into the sky with a picturesque split legged frog splash! Skye bounces off her opponent after driving the air out of him! She scrambles for the cover!

One!

...Two!

...Three!
Winner and advancing in the XWA Lord of the Ring tournament: Skye Healy!!!!

Skye, rising to her feet holding her stomach, raises her hand in victory. She slumps into the corner, trying to regain her breath. Phoenix slowly begins to stir as well coming to realize the scope of what’s occured. He kneels in front of Skye in a gesture of respect. She responds by getting emotional and almost breaking down into happy tears. The two bow towards each other as Phoenix leaves Skye to bask in the adulation of the crowd.

Mark Sanction: An intense bout between these two. Phoenix laid in his powerful and moves when he could, but ultimately, he couldn't match the speed and never say die attitude that Healy possesses. What a debut for this young rookie and if tonight is any meter for the competition, her next round opponent had better watch out.
PhoenixRoost
Supreme XWA Champion
Supreme XWA Champion

Postby PhoenixRoost » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:49 am

The camera cuts back to ringside with Mark Sanction and Tempest.

Sanction: You know, I just remembered a reason why I really enjoy the Lord of the Ring tournament and look forward to it every year..

Tempest: Is it because you get to sit down here and watch the best in professional wrestling come to Chicago to hash it out and see who comes out on top?

Sanction: That’s part of it. But mostly I enjoy the vacation from Matt.

Tempest: You know what? I was going to make a crack about spending more time with me, but that is totally fair.

Sanction: Well, I’m sure he’s enjoying his vacation as well. Enough about him, let’s get back to the action.

The camera cuts to the ring, where Hana Ramirez is waiting with a microphone.

Ramirez: The following contest is scheduled for one fall, and it is a first round match in the Lord of the Ring tournament.

There is a long intro to the Yoshida Brothers’ "Storm" consisting of chanting, shamisen chords, and at about 0:36, a short percussion solo. The lights dim at the beginning of the song, and The Phoenix comes out and immediately kneels in the center of the stage. For about thirty seconds, he sits in seiza on the stage, eyes closed, head lowered. He remains in this position, completely still, until the percussion solo ends and the song starts in earnest, when he rises from seiza, shifting to a one-legged kneel to pose as though he's holding a katana horizontally over his head. This lasts only a few seconds before he stands up fully and starts heading down to the ring.

Ramirez: Introducing first, from the Phoenix’s Roost, weighing in at 230 pounds...The Phoenix!

Once he's on his way down to the ring, he walks directly to the ring. His focus is wholly on the ring as he walks around to the ring steps, walking up them to get to the apron. He stands there a moment, head bowed, before wiping his boots on the apron and stepping into the ring proper. He then goes to his corner and returns to the kneeling seiza position as he awaits his opponent.

Sanction: I always get a little wary around masked wrestlers that refuse to give us any information. It seems this young man has been trained in a prestigious Japanese wrestling school, but that’s all he’d tell us.

Tempest: Masked wrestlers are part of the sport’s history, Mark, you know that. I know why you’re antsy, but Mark Storey got what was coming to him, I don’t think he’ll use the same stunt twice.

Sanction: Right. Well, either way, it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table.

Tempest: Don’t forget, Albion Gale was a total unknown this time last year, and look at where she is now.

The lights in the arena go out. The only lights are blue and pink panning around the arena. As "Shuriken Time" by Madeon vs Owl City slowly builds, fans begin to clap in beat to the song. The song crescendos and the lights come back on, and Skye bursts out of from the curtain with all the happiness and energy one would expect from her. Her smile is bright and infectious as she skips her way down the entrance ramp hi-fiving and hugging all the fans she can.

Ramirez: His opponent, from Vancouver, British Columbia, weighing in at 145 pounds...”Luchadorable” Skye Healy!

She runs around the ring giving everyone at ringside a hi-five too before sitting up on the apron and blowing kisses to the camera. She enters the ring, skipping around and fangirling at the fact that she's in a wrestling ring. Eventually she settles down enough to just bounce up and down in her own corner.

Sanction: Skye Healy, on the other hand, is incredibly expressive.

Tempest: Beyond being expressive, at a young age she has already made an impact, including winning a tag team championship. She is giving up a lot of size to this Phoenix, but she has the superior resume. I think this one will be interesting.

Sanction: Well, we’re about to find out.

Wayne Johnston is the official overseeing this match, and he briefly goes over the rules with his two charges. They seem fairly compliant, so after he makes the rules clear, he signals for the bell.

DING DING DING

Healy and Phoenix come forward, Healy much more eagerly. She extends a hand for a shake, the smile never leaving her lips. Even with the mask, Phoenix’s apprehension is palpable, but after a few moments, he extends his own hand, shakes it tenderly, and yanks his hand back as though afraid he was going to get bitten. If anything, his reticence makes Healy’s smile falter a bit, but she brings it back and starts circling the ring with him. When Phoenix moves in to call for the ever-present lock-up, Healy is smart and ducks behind Phoenix, wrapping her arms around him in a rear waistlock. Phoenix launches an elbow, trying to get himself facing her again, but Healy ducks that, and as Phoenix whirls around, she tucks an arm and pulls a big arm drag on her much bigger opponent! The crowd pops as Phoenix rolls quickly up to his feet, eyes wide behind the mask, and when he charges forward, Healy responds by hitting a second arm drag, this time in the Japanese style. The crowd pops again as the Phoenix rolls up, but he doesn’t charge again. He stretches his head, tilting it one way and then the other, then starts circling again, lips seeming to try not to curl into a sneer.

Sanction: Healy with an early advantage. It’s strange for a rookie to show veteran instincts, but she certainly seems to be setting the tone so far.

Tempest: Size isn’t everything, but when you’re that small, you have to make every pound count, because pretty much everybody’s got the strength advantage.

When he reaches for another lock up, Healy goes to duck under again, but as she shoots behind him, Phoenix charges forward before he can be grabbed, bouncing off the ropes. Healy sets herself, trying to hit another arm drag, but Phoenix just plows through her with a clothesline! Healy takes her turn to bump and roll back up quickly, but she earns a second clothesline. She rolls back up just as quickly, not showing Phoenix’s level of reservation, but she’s also quick on her feet, as when Phoenix goes for the third clothesline, she ducks under it. She grabs him around the waist and starts shoving him toward the turnbuckle, trying to slam him into the steel buckles, but Phoenix is able to stop himself before he impacts the steel by grabbing onto the ropes. He launches a back kick blindly that grazes Healy’s leg, but it’s enough to make her let go briefly, and that is the opening Phoenix was looking for as he uses his grip on the top rope to pull himself up to the top rope. He leaps off in a big moonsault that sends Healy sprawling! Phoenix quickly crawls back over and covers Healy in the match’s first pin attempt.

Healy kicks out after a quick two count. Phoenix is quick to sit her up and try to keep the pressure on, grabbing up one of her arms and twisting it behind her, locking in grounded arm wrench. Healy cries out in pain as she tries to bend her body backwards to alleviate the pressure.

Sanction: And just like that, Phoenix has control.

Tempest: He’s quick to learn, at least, which is important when going up against someone as frenetic as Healy. If he lets her get too much momentum, it will be a monumental task to slow her back down.

Phoenix wrenches the arm as far back as he can, but this ends up being a bridge too far, as he gives Healy enough room to just flip her entire body backwards to relieve pressure as well as get her legs under her. As Phoenix lunges for her to resume control, Healy drops to her back and kicks Phoenix in the face, stunning him. She pops up to her feet quickly, then runs against the opposite ropes and charges in, and even as he starts getting up to assault her again, Healy is leaping up for a hurricanrana, and while she doesn’t get the faceplant of the Rana Driver part of her combo, she does manage to whip Phoenix over onto his back! Phoenix clutches his back, but is quick to try and get back up to his feet. He is not quicker than Healy, though, who rushes over and grabs him from behind, dragging him backwards with a Russian Leg Sweep! She tries to turn him over to get the Starr Bar locked in, but she has to let go and roll him over with not insignificant effort, and when he’s in position, he has time to pull himself out of position and toward the ropes before she can get him locked in. She looks frustrated as Phoenix drags himself under the bottom rope and down to the floor to recover, but just as quickly she’s beaming again as she bounds into the ropes behind her, then charges down through the bottom and middle ropes legs first to wrap her legs around Phoenix’s neck and nail another, bigger hurricanrana on the floor! He hits the thinly padded floor and arches his back from the impact as Johnston comes over to chide Healy for the attack on the outside. Then comes counting.

1!

2!

Healy gets back to her feet quickly, and after a bit of energetic gesticulation, she’s back in the ring. Phoenix, on the other hand, is still favoring his back as he is dragging himself back to the ring.

3!

4!

Healy has returned to the ring and is waiting anxiously at the far side, letting Phoenix have plenty of room to re-enter. Phoenix is pulling himself up with the apron skirt on the fourth count.

5!

6!

Phoenix drags himself the rest of the way to his feet and pulls himself into the ring. He rolls a couple more feet than he probably wanted, as Healy immediately goes for a cover!

Phoenix kicks out and quickly retreats back to the safety of the ropes, but without dragging himself to the floor this time.

Sanction: Phoenix was wise to try to ground the Skye-walker, but he has to make sure he doesn’t leave an opening like that, because Healy has taken advantage and is building that big head of steam you mentioned earlier.

Tempest: It’s possible that only Phoenix’s size advantage saved him from a submission just now, but it might not matter soon if she can get some of her big moves off.

Healy is prepping for a big move as she waits for Phoenix to start getting up. She stomps the canvas and claps, though whether she’s doing this as a way to build fan support for herself or try to wake Phoenix from his stupor is anyone’s guess. Either way, when he starts to stir, she bounds into the ropes for extra momentum before charging at Phoenix and leaping through the air, aiming for a flying forearm smash, but Phoenix steps forward and catches her around the waist before she launches the strike! The crowd pops out of surprise at the sudden display of strength before Phoenix hoists her a bit and then throws her over his head in a Belly-to-Belly Suplex! Healy takes her turn at arching her back in pain as Phoenix stands up, dazed a bit. He shakes his head to get the cobwebs out, then walks over to the grounded Healy. She tries to hit the Listo Kick again, but Phoenix sees it coming and grabs it, transitioning quickly to a position where he can go for a Boston Crab, but as he struggles with Healy’s writhing body, Healy lunges up and grabs Phoenix’s head behind the neck, pulling him down into an inside cradle!

Phoenix shoves her off just in time! The crowd is cheering for the surprise maneuver, and his close shave as he escapes! Phoenix’s teeth are grit as Healy rolls up to her feet. She comes forward, aiming a savate kick at his chin, but he blocks it! He lowers her foot, but that just gives her the angle to jump up and nail an Enzuigiri to the side of the head! This knocks him to all fours, and as soon as Healy has her feet again, she lifts her foot, turns her back, and pulls her foot back into ready position by way of the back of Phoenix’s neck! He grabs at the back of his neck after suffering the Switchblade Kick, but he can’t rest for long, as Healy goes for another cover.

Phoenix kicks out just in time again!

Sanction: Phoenix with a big counter, but Healy countered him right back, and now she’s on the offensive again.

Tempest: This remind you of anyone, Mark? We could be looking at the next Supreme Champ, here.

Healy is still smiling, way past the point where other wrestlers would be scowling. Phoenix is certainly one of those, as he finds himself on the defensive yet again. Healy is looking for the big move that’s going to end it, and so as Phoenix is staggering up to his feet, she charges again, and this time as she grabs him around the waist, he can’t plant his feet to stop her and she drives him into the turnbuckles! As soon as he’s there, she starts Button Mashing, chopping and punching and forearm smashing and whatever else she can that’s open. Johnston tries to drag her off, but before he can, Phoenix has fallen to a seated position in the corner, and as Healy is pulled off, there’s distance for her to charge in and nail a face wash that jacks Phoenix’s jaw! He recoils from this and rolls limply toward the middle of the ring, which is right where Healy wants him to be. She quickly scrambles over to the turnbuckle and climbs up to the top as Phoenix lies motionless on the canvas. She beams and leaps high into the air, folding her body and tucking her arms between her legs, but as she reaches the apex, Phoenix lunges out of the way, meaning as she unwinds, her big frog splash hits nothing but canvas, driving the air out of her lungs. Phoenix stumbles a bit as he gets up, but Healy is out of it as she careens around half bent over, which makes it easy for Phoenix to pull her into piledriver position. He hooks her arms quickly as for a butterfly suplex, but instead of a suplex, he lifts her and spins while she’s horizontal before sitting out, planting her face first into the canvas! Some call that the Angel’s Wings, Phoenix calls it Hoyoku, but Johnston calls it a pin fall after Phoenix rolls her over onto her back and transitions into a lateral press.

3! “Storm” starts playing straight from the post-intro bit.

Ramirez: Here is your winner, the Phoenix!

Sanction: Healy had control for much of this match, but she let her exuberance get to her, and all it takes is one mistake. And for her, not making sure Phoenix was as incapacitated as he seemed was hers.

Tempest: Maybe we’ll learn more about the Phoenix as he moves into round two!
RevolutionJones
Characters Handled: A.J. Morales
Hyphy Machinery (Dontell Porter & Jason Moana)

Postby RevolutionJones » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 am

This match is now OPEN FOR VOTING!

World, you now have until MONDAY, JULY 1st to cast your votes. As always, anyone can vote (unless it’s your own match), and only votes that use the official Voting Template, which you can find HERE, will be counted.

To the writers, thank you both for your hard work, good luck, and may the best match win!
Minka Carter
Staff

Re: [VOTE] Lord of the Ring Opening Round: Skye Healy vs. The Phoenix

Postby Minka Carter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:21 am

Skye Healy
What I liked: The action and the pacing was strong, but what I really liked was the beginning where Skye Healy was being very sarcastic and funny and pissing off Phoenix quite a bit, which led to him really wanting to hurt her.

What I disliked: I felt like the size difference between Healy and Phoenix was undersold some, particularly with some of the moves. For instance, it’s hard for me to picture an arm drag exchange when the size difference is substantial or for Healy to be able to drag Phoenix over. How does a stiff overhead chop from someone Healy’s size double over someone much bigger than her?

Personal Favourite Part: Skye puffs out her chest to make her look bigger to match her opponent. The two meet in the middle of the ring, locking eyes in the center of the ring. Phoenix’s cold, menacing stare makes Skye back off for a second. However she quickly responds by opening her arms as wide as possible and walking toward Phoenix for a hug.

I loved this part. It established a little bit of character personality and set the tone for the match. I felt like it made Phoenix want to kill her while also playing off Skye’s naivety

Personal Least Favourite Part: Phoenix is back to his feet as he swings again at Healy but she takes him down with reverse waistlock takedown. Trying to recover, Phoenix quickly bullies Skye down, but gets a couple back elbows to the gut for his troubles. Skye Healy with the headlock as Phoenix pushes her off into the corner, Skye floats over as Phoenix begins his pursuit. Skye off the ropes. Phoenix drop down but Skye jumps over. Off the ropes again as she slides under a big boot from Phoenix. Arm drag from Healy, arm drag from Phoenix, and they both attempt a dropkick and reach a stalemate in the middle of the ring.

I had to re-read this part a couple of times to figure out exactly what was going on. I got a bit lost reading it. Also, wouldn’t the lighter wrestler (Healy) take more of the brunt of a dropkick collision? It doesn’t seem realisitic for Phoenix to roll out of the ring seemingly taking the brunt of the damage while Skye is posing in the middle of the ring like nothing happened to her.

Constructive Criticism for Next Time: Be sure to sell the size difference between the characters. Also, I would like to see more of her personality expressed during the match. The “cute, annoying babyface” works. Work in some taunts while she’s in control to really piss off the heel. Also, some more crowd reactions throughout would definitely enhance the story in the ring.

Final Comments: This was not an overall bad effort. There is definitely a lot of potential with the Skye Healy character if you keep at it and I can’t wait to see how things improve with her going forward.

-------

The Phoenix
What I liked: The details in the action were great. I did enjoy the fact that there were some crowd reactions, facial expressions, details behind the moves, and so forth. It was a hard hitting match and I could picture the flow and the pace of the match as it went along. I was also surprised (in a good way) by how the lighter opponent and most likely underdog was in control for a lot of the match, putting Healy over.

What I disliked: It didn’t feel like too much of a big picture story for me. It felt more like just another tournament match and I also felt like the ending was rushed. The way it flowed for me, it’s like Phoenix made a quick comeback after Healy was in control for a lot of the match and then just suddenly won. I was really getting into the flow… and then it just suddenly ended.

Personal Favourite Part:
Healy is prepping for a big move as she waits for Phoenix to start getting up. She stomps the canvas and claps, though whether she’s doing this as a way to build fan support for herself or try to wake Phoenix from his stupor is anyone’s guess. Either way, when he starts to stir, she bounds into the ropes for extra momentum before charging at Phoenix and leaping through the air, aiming for a flying forearm smash, but Phoenix steps forward and catches her around the waist before she launches the strike! The crowd pops out of surprise at the sudden display of strength before Phoenix hoists her a bit and then throws her over his head in a Belly-to-Belly Suplex! Healy takes her turn at arching her back in pain as Phoenix stands up, dazed a bit. He shakes his head to get the cobwebs out, then walks over to the grounded Healy. She tries to hit the Listo Kick again, but Phoenix sees it coming and grabs it, transitioning quickly to a position where he can go for a Boston Crab, but as he struggles with Healy’s writhing body, Healy lunges up and grabs Phoenix’s head behind the neck, pulling him down into an inside cradle!

Loved the counter-for-counter sequence here. It seemed like no matter what Phoenix did, Healy had a counter for everything and it made her look really strong.

Personal Least Favourite Part: Phoenix launches an elbow, trying to get himself facing her again, but Healy ducks that, and as Phoenix whirls around, she tucks an arm and pulls a big arm drag on her much bigger opponent! The crowd pops as Phoenix rolls quickly up to his feet, eyes wide behind the mask, and when he charges forward, Healy responds by hitting a second arm drag, this time in the Japanese style.

This feels repetitive considering my review of Skye’s match, but I really thought this was a bit unrealistic. Fortunately, there wasn’t too much of this with this match.

Constructive Criticism for Next Time: If you’re going to have an opponent be in control for most of the match, don’t rush the comeback. It really did feel like, in this instance, that the comeback was sudden and that the match ended too soon. Also, think ahead when it comes to the bigger picture, especially with this tournament. From my experience, it helps build a story throughout the match.

Final Comments: A very fine paced, action based match that I really got into. I thought you nailed the fine details move to move, sequence by sequence.

----
The Person Getting My VOTE: Phoenix
Overall Match Comments: It was a strong effort from both writers, but in the end, I felt that Phoenix’s match was more polished and had a better flow throughout. Still, I loved reading the potential that both matches had and hopefully the strong efforts can be maintained going forward.

Return to “Massacre #47: Lord of the Ring 2019, Vol. 1”