[CRITIQUE] XWA Brave New World: Albion Gale vs. Captain Fabulous - OPENING MATCH!

New Year. New Battles.
Matches and segments from our 2019 Supershow- XWA Brave New World!
RevolutionJones
XWA World Tag Team Champion
Characters Handled: A.J. Morales
Hyphy Machinery (Dontell Porter & Jason Moana)

[CRITIQUE] XWA Brave New World: Albion Gale vs. Captain Fabulous - OPENING MATCH!

Postby RevolutionJones » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:08 am

New Year. New Battles. XWA steps into a...

Broadcast on The Xperience and Battleground Network
LIVE! From Sears Centre, Hoffman Estates, IL (11,000 Capacity),

Theme Song: "Genesis" by Justice

Opening Match!

ImageImageImage

Albion Gale vs. Captain Fabulous

Few wrestlers on the XWA roster are as primed for glory to start 2019 than the Duality of Woman, Albion Gale. Already the Breakout Star of 2018 according to this year's Piledriver Awards, Gale has been biding her time, waiting for the right moment to cash in her Lord of the Ring opportunity at the Supreme Championship. And as she bides her time, picking up high-profile wins will be of the utmost importance. But in order to start 2019 on the right foot, she'll need to contend with the returning Captain Fabulous, a man who's no stranger to starting Supershows on a high note.

If the fabulous fighter picks up a victory here, it'll send a message to the entire XWA locker room. But if the Lady of the Ring does it, it'll send an equally strong message to everyone eyeing the top spot. Either way, the first Supershow match of 2019 promises to be a crowd-pleasing affair.

--------
Deadline for matches is JANUARY 20TH, 2019 at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time.
Voting will start at this time and conclude on JANUARY 27TH, 2019 at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time.
[CST is one hour earlier. GMT is five hours later.]
PhoenixRoost
Supreme XWA Champion
Supreme XWA Champion

Re: XWA Brave New World: Albion Gale vs. Captain Fabulous - OPENING MATCH!

Postby PhoenixRoost » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:23 am

The camera cuts over to the announce table following the opening segment of Brave New World.

Sanction: It’s time for the first match of the night, and it will be a good one to set the tone.

Steel: Yes. The Lady of the Ring against a guy that hasn’t won a match since April of last year. Match of the year candidate already.

Sanction: Well it doesn’t seem like much on paper, but despite her success since debuting, Albion does give up a lot of size to Captain Fabulous. It’ll be interesting to see how she deals with this.

Steel: If you say so. Anything involving that manchild makes my brain want to shut down.

The camera cuts to the middle of the ring, with Hana Ramirez standing by.

Ramirez: The following contest is scheduled for one fall!

The Instrumentals of Sweet Child O' Mine reverberates and the fans get on their feet for Captain Fabulous. Captain Fabulous appears on stage in all his splendor. Jumping up and down he smiles at all his fans.

Ramirez: Introducing first, from Seattle, Washington, weighing in at 273 pounds...Captain Fabulous!

He runs down the ramp and jumps atop the apron, grabbing the top rope and propelling himself over the top and tumbling into the middle of the ring. Getting up he poses right away in a posh stance to much of the crowd's amusement.

Sanction: It’s been a while since we’ve seen Captain Fabulous in action here, though he did have a match on Massacre. Let’s see if he can do any better against Gale than he did against Alex Kincaid.

Steel: Smart money’s on absolutely not.

“Invidia” starts playing over the speakers, and during the slow open, the sounds of distant thunder and wind are piped in as well. There is a louder thunderclap at the drop, and water starts to pelt the stage in a simulated downpour. Albion walks out onto the stage, a black trenchcoat on over her ring gear, and she stands proudly with her arms out in the deluge. An added detail to her entrance for the Supershow in the Sears Center sees a crackling bolt of lightning strike the stage behind her while she stands there, unmoved by the light or the thunderclap that came after. After a few seconds, the “rain” stops, prompting the emergence of her manager, Kaji Fireson. A few seconds after that, the pair of them strides down to the ring.

Ramirez: His opponent, being accompanied to the ring by Kaji Fireson, from Evansville, Indiana, weighing in at 164 pounds, she is the 2018 Lord of the Ring winner, the Duality of Woman...Albion Gale!

Compared to when her entrance theme started and all the storm sounds, the arena feels positively calm for Albion now. As the song’s tempo increases, Albion’s pace quickens until she is in the ring. At this point she dramatically tears open her trenchcoat, revealing her ring attire underneath. She holds her arms out as though soaking in some sun (or mirroring how she stood in the “storm”) before removing her coat and draping it over the top rope where Kaji retrieves it and tucks it away next to the timekeeper. She then does some last minute stretches to prepare for the upcoming match.

Sanction: Despite the setback at the end of 2018, she still had one hell of a year last year, earning the vote of the XWA Universe for Breakout Star of the Year, an accolade I cannot contest.

Steel: Look, I don’t think I’ve made it a secret that Albion Gale is not my favorite member of the XWA roster. But she’s clearly capable, and she doesn’t act like a complete spaz anytime she does get booked, so I’m really looking forward to her choking the Captain until his glittery, sparkly blood spews up from within his bowels.

The official, Kirk Samson, gives Gale and Fabulous the talk, and when he’s sure they understand, he signals for the bell.
DING DING DING
Fabulous stops, holding his hand up to Gale as he stands with his hips forward, clearly ready to be Fabulous. He runs his fingers through his hair as he stares down a confused Gale, grinding his hips around as he declares that it’s time for him to GET FABULOUS! Gale does her best to look politely interested, but she doesn’t look interested when he charges at her with a clothesline attempt. She ducks out of the way, and the captain keeps going into the opposite ropes. He comes back and starts spinning around to go for a discus lariat, but on this attempt, Gale ducks down and launches Fabulous with a back body drop. Fabulous shoots up, back arched in pain as he scrambles up to his feet. Gale doesn’t let off the pedals and follows him as he heads for the ropes. She grabs an arm and pulls him off, but he reverses the Irish Whip and sends Gale sailing into the opposite ropes. He wiggles his hips a bit as she bounces off, but as he leaps into the air, spinning around to hit his leaping ass strike, Gale is leaping up as well, and his ass gets nothing but a dropkick! The kick thrusts Fabulous forward, causing him to careen off-balance into the ropes, barely catching himself by wrapping his arms around the top rope. Gale is quick to get up and rush over, but Fabulous ducks down, pulling the top rope with him. Kaji rushes over to where Gale spills out onto the floor as Captain Fabulous stands in the ring. Fabulous’s legs start pumping as he starts running excitedly in place, pointing down at his downed opponent. He sprints into the opposite ropes and charges back, aiming a Suicide Dive at Gale as she is starting to get back up. Kaji yells at her to “Get out of the way!” but it is to no avail, as Fabulous’s full body weight plows into Gale at top speed, the resistance from hitting her being the only thing that kept Captain Fabulous from braining himself on the barricade.

Samson starts counting Fabulous and Gale out as Kaji looks on from only feet away. Fabulous is already starting to pull himself up while Gale is motionless after getting nailed by a human projectile.

1!

2!

Fabulous has pulled himself all the way to his feet and, while dazed, he is able to slide into the ring. Gale has started to move, but is still very much down on the ground.

3!

4!

Kaji kneels down next to her to speak to Gale, keeping his arms behind his back to prevent Samson from thinking he is interfering. Gale is stirring and starting to reach up to grab the barricade.

5!

6!

Fabulous is standing in the ring now, looking down at Gale as she starts to pull herself up. His legs are pumping again in excitement as he gets closer and closer to a win, but Kaji takes offense to this, moving to the apron and starting to yell at Fabulous. The mics can’t pick up what he’s saying exactly, so we’ll never know whether he’s berating the Captain for being this excited to win by countout or for hurling himself down at his client in such a reckless fashion.

7!

8!

Gale has pulled herself completely upright now, and she is unsteady but on her feet. As Samson raises his hands to count to 9, Gale rushes toward the ring and slides under the bottom rope to a loud cheer. She starts to get up but Fabulous catches her with a kick to the midsection to double her over, and he pulls her in-between his legs, going for the kill early. Gale knows immediately that she can’t afford to suffer this, and she is able to prevent Fabulous from hooking both of her arms up, and eventually she pulls her arms free and grabs Fabulous’s legs, pulling them out from under him. She quickly picks the right one before flipping him over, stepping over, and locking him in a big STF!

Fabulous flails as he struggles to break free of the STF. His attempts to just buck Gale off fail, as she’s got his leg hooked and her hands locked under his nose, but then he starts to pull himself along. It’s rough going, given Gale is laying on one of this knees, but he is eventually able to pull himself within reach of the bottom rope, so Samson starts a new count.

1!

2!

3!

4!

Gale lets go at four, and while she’s normally one to let go right away, she’s still somewhat shaken from the big dive, and Kaji insisted she hold it as long as legally permitted. As soon as she’s released it, the Captain tangles himself up in the ropes for safety as Gale steps back, shaking her own cobwebs out. Gale waits for Fabulous to push himself out of the ropes, but by doing so, she gives him time to recover, so when she comes in, looking for a series of knife-edged chops, Fabulous gets his hands up and nails Gale with a picture-perfect Heart Punch. Gale staggers back, clutching her chest, and Fabulous gets up slowly, clearly not used to landing that punch, or reversing something this far into a match. Fabulous’s legs start pumping as he starts getting excited, but as he rushes in, Gale leaps up with the Cacophony! She lands the leaping reverse STO, then immediately pulls her legs back and locks in the Koji Clutch. Fabulous isn’t in White Noise long before he pounds the mat. The bell rings again!

Ramirez: Here is your winner...Albion Gale!
RevolutionJones
Characters Handled: A.J. Morales
Hyphy Machinery (Dontell Porter & Jason Moana)

Re: XWA Brave New World: Albion Gale vs. Captain Fabulous - OPENING MATCH!

Postby RevolutionJones » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:41 pm

This match is now open for feedback!

You don’t have to use the Voting Template, but if it helps you organize your thoughts, go ahead and take it from HERE.
Vespertine
Characters Handled: Vespertine

Re: [CRITIQUE] XWA Brave New World: Albion Gale vs. Captain Fabulous - OPENING MATCH!

Postby Vespertine » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:01 pm

I'm sorry you had a no show which you probably knew was coming which is why you cut it short. But it worked. So here goes:

Commentator team: 8/10. Not enough banter back and forth between Steel and Sanction. But what you did put in there flowed pretty well.

Favorite Line: "Anything involving that manchild makes my brain want to shut down"

Action: I'll say it's 8/10. Mostly because there wasn't enough of it but you had a no show so there is that. You and I both capture Capt Fabulous perfectly. Love how she "politely" waits until he is done getting Fabulous. This made me chuckle.

Least Favorite Part: Since Fabulous no showed you could've ended the match any way you wanted. I would've gone with a pin instead of a submission myself (ironically I didn't make him submit either in my match with him for M#41). But you chose an STF and then a Koji Clutch. Seems overkill to me.

Constructive Critism: I'm not very good at feedback so bear with me. I may just add a few things later to this. But right now, you did a very good job overall. At the count of 9 though, I"m not sure she would've made it to the ring in time from where she was on the outside of the ring. I tried to see it in my mind but couldn't. Maybe I haven't watched enough wrestling to figure out how the count out works.

Last Comment: Keep up the good work.
[center]You will feel death... by... Diva[/center][/i][/b][/color]

Opponents Defeated
- Richard Head
- Lynx
- "Gokuda" Kaida Kagome, Matriarch of Clan Kagome
- Capt. Fabulous

Dan
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer
Characters Handled: Dan Bennett

Re: [CRITIQUE] XWA Brave New World: Albion Gale vs. Captain Fabulous - OPENING MATCH!

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm

First off, I feel the need to point out that for a squash match, you gave Fabulous a lot of credit. Not a bad thing, just unusual IMO.

Having said that, it looks like you were pressed for time and so the lack of commentary won't be held against you in my book. For a match that looks rushed, I can definitely see the skeleton for a decent match here. There are a lot of offensive spots that could've been expounded on and more selling would've been ideal, but like I said, I see that it was a bit rushed and so that is also forgiven. It's clear that you've got a lot of good ideas here, and your work is usually much better than this, so this shouldn't be seen as the standard for your work.

Return to “XWA Brave New World”