DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Characters Handled: Emery Layton
Adam Fenric
Aki Yasuko
Amy Taylor

Revealing Winners- an IDEA!

Postby DJS » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:22 am

Snoopz brought up how we're revealing Piledriver Award winners. I've spawned an idea, and we've never done it this way before, so lemme ask and see if its something that interests you guys. Usually we just reveal them in a results thread, BUT we COULD reveal them on the first show of the year (a Massacre or Supershow, whichever one we end up posting first), in character, like the Slammys? And then your character can accept them in-character in promos on that show?

Which would you guys prefer?
New to XWA? Need management? Look no further...
GiggityGopher
Characters Handled: Jerod Barnez
Joey Miles

Re: Revealing Winners- an IDEA!

Postby GiggityGopher » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:41 am

I see two problems with this idea. The first one is the possibility that some people may not get their acceptance promos up, for one reason or another. Whether it's because they end up getting too busy or any other reason, how would we learn the winners in this case? Another problem is that some of the awards are fedder-based, not wrestler-based, so it wouldn't really work to have them get accepted in the show. Some are also kinda inside reference stuff, in terms of wrestling, such as best heel or best face. The only ones I feel would really make sense to actually be shown on the show itself, in character, would be best finisher, breakout star, best moment, maybe promo of the year but I'm not sure on that, match of the year and wrestler of the year.

The idea of actually doing acceptance speeches and stuff on a show sounds fun, but it seems like too many of the categories are things that wouldn't make much sense from an in character stand-point and are more-so for the fedders themselves.

I do like the thought of having a reveal process that's got more buildup than simply the results being posted all at once in a topic. If not this idea, a suggestion I have would be setting a specific date and time that'd work for the majority of fedders here and having a topic posted, where each winner is revealed periodically (like every 5 or 10 minutes). I think that'd be even better if we could bring the Chatbox back, though, so everyone can talk in there as they wait for each category. Given that the site going down issue appears to be regarding bots, I'm not sure if that means the Chatbox would be okay to bring back or not.
styg
Characters Handled: Yo mama
Also your da

Postby styg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:32 am

To echo what Snoopz said, for the IC awards, doing them on the show could be really cool, but not the more OOC ones.

IC:
Best Overall Wrestler
Match of the Year
Promo of the Year
Best Face (renamed to something like Fan Favourite of the Year or Most Beloved)
Best Heel (renamed to something like Villain of the Year or Most Hated)
Best Single Moment
Best Feud
Breakout Star of the Year
Best Finisher (maybe renamed to Best Move if "finisher" is too insidery a term.)

...which leaves only Most Valuable Player, Most Creative Roleplayer and Best Storyline as the OOC awards, really.
19W|5D|6L
Hardcore Champion x3 | Gladiatorial Champion | World Heavyweight Champion | first Supreme Champion
Breaker of The Streak
@sugarhardy
GiggityGopher
Characters Handled: Jerod Barnez
Joey Miles

Postby GiggityGopher » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:11 pm

I also wouldn't really see Best Feud working IC. How would that be accepted? The people involved in the feud, which usually means people who hate each other, coming out and accepting it together? The rest mentioned for IC could work. I still prefer my idea, personally, though, so all the awards can be done together instead of splitting them between on the show and off the show. And I want the Chatbox to come back. I miss the Chatbox. :(
DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Characters Handled: Emery Layton
Adam Fenric
Aki Yasuko
Amy Taylor

Postby DJS » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:47 pm

If I can get these evil IPs blocked, you might see the return of said chatbox. I'm sure WWE have done "best feud" slammys in the past. Have they? I dunno what they'd refer to it in their terminology as. Which is to say WE'D need a terminology, too.

I'd kinda see it working similar to the Hall of Fame in 2015- lets say for arguments sake we're looking at "Overall Wrestler of the Year". I'd put up a promo, entitled "Piledriver Award Ceremony: Overall Wrestler of the Year Award". In my post, I'd have someone come out to give the award. Maybe a short, stupid skit involved. Then, we'd list the nominations (by this point, everyone's already voted in the polls, don't forget). Once we've listed them, we announce "and the winner is Such-And-Such". At that point, I TAG the winner and if they want to do a promo, accepting it, they can do. But the winner would be announced either way.

I just think it'd be fun to have that. Like, lets say you've won "Most Popular Star", you can come out, thank everyone, give a rousing speech, whatever it is your character would do in that situation. But if you're a heel and you win "Most Hated Wrestler", you can come out and be like 'what the fuck, this is bullshit, I shouldn't win this, I'm a hero to children' etc.

Obviously there'd be a few awards that we couldn't do that with like MVP, but I say we consider those on a different tier. We could have these awards on an in-character tier (MOTY, Breakout Star, things that your character can talk about) and then a Boards tier (MVP, Most Creative).

Having said that, BOTH ideas could work (mainly due to the fact the one Snoopz is talking about is how we've done it in the past anyway!).
New to XWA? Need management? Look no further...
Johnny Coolbreeze
Head of the Prediction League

Postby Johnny Coolbreeze » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:19 am

I LOVE this!
XxChronoTrigxX
Supreme XWA Champion
Supreme XWA Champion

Postby XxChronoTrigxX » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:25 pm

I'll all for doing most of these as an actual event. We did the same with HoF inductees by means of doing promos as well and it brought really touching and funny moments. So I'll be excited to give some do-diligence toward it given the chance.

Jessi
Characters Handled: Austin Carter
Trevor Miller
Axton Pierce (only for LOTR)

Postby Jessi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:47 pm

DJS wrote: I'm sure WWE have done "best feud" slammys in the past. Have they?

They've had a "Rivalry of the year" award in 2015's Slammy Awards. I also like the ideas, maybe take it to the level like that one RAW award show they had for their anniversary in 2003 where they had this Golden Globes awards setting (Fancy table setting, Everyone dressed the part, and Someone hosting the event, and wrestlers presenting) Of course, I may be in over my head, but that's what I think.

"Santa will deliver no presents. I will Crown Kick him. Fuck you, small children." - DJS

Return to “Piledriver Awards 2016”