XWA Piledriver Awards 2016- Nomination Thread!

DJS
Site Admin

XWA Piledriver Awards 2016- Nomination Thread!

Postby DJS » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:15 am

Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again!

As Legends falls upon us once more, the finale to the entire year of the XWA, it's time to commemorate the success of those who've put together the best stuff, those moments that made you go "holy shit!" and the members who made this place go round.

Below you'll find a form for the 2016 XWA Piledriver Awards. In here, you may nominate what you thought was the best of that category. Try to explain why you've made your pick, what impressed you about it. I plan on keeping this open for about two weeks or so, cos I reckon we'll get a few noms for stuff that happens at Legends. Here's a thing I wanna do as well, you can nominate more than once, so if you want to throw a few nominations in rather than just one, go for it! The more we have to vote on to decide a winner, the better!

Anyway, like Sami Zayn's entrance says, let's go! Here are the catagories for all awards that will be on offer:

1. Most Valuable Player
Who has been the MVP of the XWA in-and-out of character throughout the year?

2. Most Creative Roleplayer
Who has thought outside the box the most and come up with the most creative storylines, matches and overall ideas?

3. Overall Wrestler of the Year
Aha! A new one for 2016 here that might cause a frenzy. Irregardless of alignment, this award is for the person who has written the best Matches, Promos and Segments through all of 2016? You must specify the character if they handle several.

4. Match of the Year
(Provide a link as well so we can actually read what you're putting forward)

5. Promo of the Year
(Provide a link as well so we can actually read what you're putting forward)

6. Best Face
Who has been the best babyface of 2016?

7. Best Heel
Who has been the most diobolical heel of 2016?

8. Best Storyline
What has the best storyline of 2016 been?

9. Best Single Moment
What single moment- be it in a match, a promo or elsewhere in the in-character sections- was the absolute best moment of the year?

10. Best Feud
What has been the best feud of the year?

11. Breakout Star of the Year
Of all of the brand new stars to grace the XWA over the last twelve months, who has made the biggest impact and been the best of the lot?

12. Best Finisher
Who has the best finisher of everyone who has been part of the active roster over the year? Consider how it has been implimented, how it has been built to in matches and it's effectiveness as factors.
Things to bare in mind:
- The calendar year starts from The XWA Lives to XWA Legends. You can nominate anything/one that happened over that time.
- Before anyone asks, yes you can vote for your own stuff...
GiggityGopher
Lord of the Ring Participant
Characters Handled: Joey Miles
Alicia Miles

Re: XWA Piledriver Awards 2016- Nomination Thread!

Postby GiggityGopher » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:15 am

I'll likely throw in some more nominations (particular match of the year) after Legends, depending on how that pans out, but for now:

1. Most Valuable Player
Rob Chapman - He hasn't done much in the form of promoing, which is his only real downfall for me, but his matches have been consistently amazing for the most part and he is kinda heading into the main event of Legends as the Supreme Champion. He also, to my knowledge, hasn't no-shown a single match, even when his opponents no-showed (and even put in ridiculous effort in the first Jerod/Rob match, despite my no-show).
DJS - Probably gonna be the clear cut pick for most people, given the fact that he ran the show for the most part, but has also put in a lot of great matches and been a part of plenty of great storylines.
Michael Swift - Insanely good for how new he is and, prior to getting promoted and how busy he's gotten, he was also clearly the best grader on the site. He'd vote in damn near everything and it was always a quality vote. That deserves recognition, given how little anyone ever wants to vote.

Styg - Always a very creative writer and this year was no different.
DJS - He's had a lot of creativity thrown into his various storylines and, although match no-shows have kinda made the character and idea suffer, the Fenrics were very interesting.
Rob Chapman - Insanely creative in his matches, both in terms of what happens and also in terms of describing how things happen.

Rob Chapman - He hasn't done much in the form of promoing, which is his only real downfall for me, but his matches have been consistently amazing for the most part and he is kinda heading into the main event of Legends as the Supreme Champion. He also, to my knowledge, hasn't no-shown a single match, even when his opponents no-showed (and even put in ridiculous effort in the first Jerod/Rob match, despite my no-show).
Jerod Barnez - I didn't really wanna put too much nominating for myself in here, but DJS said we can do that, so I'll be the fucker here. I'm not sure I deserve to win, but with a Supreme title win and a storyline that's been one of my favorite storylines I've ever been in (and brought out the most emotion I've ever brought out of a character, both in promos and matches), I'll list myself for the nomination.
Lx-Tim - Been pretty damn amazing since making his debut. Part of ELITE, won the Television Championship, been defending it very well.

4. Match of the Year
Rob Chapman vs. DJS - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 165&t=6758
Hardcore Scramble Invitational - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 174&t=6996
Rob will be getting two nominations from me if we can manage to make our match at Legends as good as I really hope it will be. There's also plenty of other Legends matches that can get nominations here.

5. Promo of the Year
"Plague Doctor", Adam Fenric - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... =53&t=6769
"From One Tough Bastard To The Next", Rob Chapman & Jerod Barnez - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... =53&t=6813

6. Best Face
Laurel Anne Hardy - There honestly aren't too many big-time faces in XWA. A hell of a lot of amazing heels, but I feel most of the faces are newer fedders who are still getting there or they're established faces who haven't really done much throughout the year. Some ELITE members could've been it, for me, had that stable never happened and they remained faces. Laurel definitely gets a nomination from me, though.

7. Best Heel
Diamond Jack Sabbath - Grade A douchebag.
Adam Fenric - A very interesting gimmick that was, unfortunately, not capitalized on as well as I'd have liked, but still very good.
Lx-Tim - Tim has spent the majority of his time in eFedding as a face, but the character has been insanely good as a heel and makes me wish he spent a lot more of his time as such.

8. Best Storyline
Mysterious Owner - That's been the one story going throughout the whole year that's connected most of everything, so it definitely deserves a nomination.
DJS Open Challenges - This one's gotten a bunch of great matches, including one that is definitely a potential MotR winner that I mentioned in that category.

9. Best Single Moment
Bella Announced As Co-Owner - Essentially the "shit is about to go down" moment that took a year to build up.
Rob Landing The Crown Kick On DJS - I just fucking marked for it.
ELITE Destroy Thomas Barnez - Post-match in Rob's post for Chapman vs. Barnez I, it set up a storyline I've been thrilled to have been a part of and was a really big moment for me.

10. Best Feud
Jerod Barnez vs. ELITE - I put this in best storyline, but I guess it fits in more here, since I didn't expect another category so similar. As mentioned before, this feud has gotten the most emotion out of any promos and matches as I think I've ever gotten and Rob and Tim (the two main contributors from ELITE's side) have done a stellar job.

Rob Chapman - Winning the Supreme title and heading into XWA's WM main event to defend it sounds like a damn good first year with the company.
Michael Swift - But so does winning the Lord of the Ring.
Lx-Tim - And being the first Television Champion of the new era.

12. Best Finisher
The Crown Kick, Diamond Jack Sabbath - It's not an amazing finisher in itself, given that it's just a Roundhouse Kick, but the build up and the whole situation with Rob landing it on DJS make me want to nominate it.
Doom Blade, The Tarmogoyf - Another basic finisher, but imaging seeing that gigantic fuck running at you and JBLing your head off is terrifying, especially with the eerie set-up.
Some Assembly Required, Michael Swift - This one's just cool, but also would be insanely painful, especially coming from someone like Michael Swift.
Michael Swift
Booking Team Member
Booking Team Member

Postby Michael Swift » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:50 am

Heads up, I am not adding anyone that is already nominated by someon else in the same category.

The Tarmogoyf - I don't talk about it much, but I am a huge fan of Magic, though I go in and out of playing the game due to various things in life. However, it lets me see a lot of the concept Goyf is going for, and it is all really solid and outside the box. Furthermore, he has some really cool and out of the box spots in his matches, though sometimes they get a little too far away from the box COUGHPEOPLESUPLEXINGEACHOTHERATTHESAMETIMECOUGH.

4. Match of the Year
Jerod Barnez Versus Razer - I feel this match was overshadowed by the amazing DJS/Chapman match on the same show, which is a true shame, cause it was high quality match. Even when Razer was going through some stuff, he throws out a fantastic effort and shows why he was so good. Meanwhile, Jerod pours a ton of heart into his post, and just knocks it out of the park.
Mark Storey Versus DGX - It is easy in the sea of mammoth posts to miss a few true gem match, but in reviewing all the matches this year, I feel like I came across a diamond. DGX is really fucking good it turns out, and as a return post, shows no signs of ring rust. Meanwhile, Storey puts out the best showing I had seen from him, with just a killer ending.

5. Promo of the Year
XWA On Stranger Tides: 96 Plus - How could I turn down the funniest promo of the year?
Massacre 3: In the Presence of... - Before this, I hadn't actual read any of Hutton's work, and this piece got me hyped.
Massacre: Carmina of Malis et Saucio - Not going to lie, before this I was not super interested in the Tim character. Time was a great writer, but I just couldn't get into the character itself. Then ELITE happened, and I still had my doubts about the character...And then this piece came out and made me super invested in Lx-Tim. No other piece this year had me completely 180 on a character.

6. Best Face
Ookami no Chi - Storylinewise, not much for her here. However, as a face character, she is incredibly enjoyable, and I know when I face her I don't feel like I am doing her justice in just how fun she is.

7. Best Heel
Rob Chapman - He is my pick of Overall Wrestler of the Year, no reason he shouldn't be here.

9. Best Single Moment
Laurel Anne Hardy literally breaks Whisper's leg like it is made of tissue paper.

10. Best Feud
Adam Fenric/Austin Carter - A more recent feud, but it is Massacre grown feud that I found pretty enjoyable and had good growth on both sides.
Sean Young/Matt Steel - A completely different type of feud, this produced my favorite promo this year. Its only flaw is being too damn short.

12. Best Finisher
Critical Hit, Michael Swift - Self nom, but I just think the concept is fucking brutal.
Goodbye Cruel World, Adam Fenric - I forgot how good the first time move appeared was. Doing a reread of matches reminded me. Real strong introduction to the move, makes it seem real monstrous.
Johnny Coolbreeze

Postby Johnny Coolbreeze » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 pm

1. Most Valuable Player
Well, there's one person who has kept this alive and all, so I think by definition we have to name DJS as MVP.

I think it's real hard to not name Rob Chapman here.

4. Match of the Year
Chapman vs DJS - XWA On a Pole. This was, as I said after reading, "felt like rewatching Zayn/Nakamura @ NXT TakeOver".
http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 165&t=6758

5. Promo of the Year
The XWA Legends '16 Press Conference.

6. Best Face

7. Best Heel

8. Best Storyline
The reveal of the new owners.

9. Best Single Moment
The new beginning of Massacre.

10. Best Feud
I've been enjoying Lx-Tim/Lynx.

Gotta give it to Austin Carter, tbh.

12. Best Finisher
Is it cheesy if I just go on and echo Snoopz' vote for my Doom Blade? The simplicity of it, the ease of set up, the...iMPACT! of it. Just all around the best traits to look for in an iconic finish.

Tentatively priming the "Night's Whisper" for 2017 though. ;)
DJS
Site Admin

Postby DJS » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:37 am

I'm gonna try and nominate people who aren't already nominated here.

1. Most Valuable Player
There are two people I wanna nominate for this one-
Michael Swift- the guy's been a revelation since he stepped in through the door from relatively nowhere. He always shows and gives it his all, his match votes are absolutely fantastic and he's been someone who gives good feedback. There's a reason I wanted him on the booking team and I think in 2017 he'll justify that in absolute droves. Some of the ideas you've seen revealed/feelers sent out- HIS ideas.
Snoopz- I think this is the first year where Snoopz has been around properly for the entire year and not disappeared for whatever personal reason, and his presence really shows. He's proven himself as an absolutely great hand for the place. He's always around, he's very outspoken about wanting the XWA to succeed, and it has this year because of people like him. But he, specifically, has been an excellent writer and has done some of the best work I've EVER seen out of him this year.

GrowGoyfGrow- The Tarmagoyf is a creation that may not have worked under someone else, but Goyf has done it in such a way whereby I legit get giddy to read his promos and matches.

Laurel Anne Hardy. I will explain. See, to me, this catagory is all about matches, promos and overall content. Laurel Anne Hardy has had some of the best promos, some of the best matches, and everything the character has been involved in has been just gold all year. You know when you see Laurel Anne Hardy's name attached to something, it's gonna be worth it.

4. Match of the Year
Jerod Barnez vs. Rob Chapman- XWA Legends, November 2016
Mark Storey vs. OOKAMI No Chi vs. Michael Swift, Lord of the Ring: Part II, August 2016

5. Promo of the Year
"The Beating Heart"- Diamond Jack Sabbath, The XWA Lives, January 2016 (In which Sabbath successfully foreshadows everything he's going to do in 2016.)
"I'm A Wrestler"- Jerod Barnez, XWA On A Pole, May 2016 (in which Jerod Barnez shit-talks literally everyone he comes into contact with.)
"Blood & Glitter"- Laurel Anne Hardy, The Good, the Bad & The XWA, February 2016 (in which Laurel Anne Hardy declares war on Catastrophe.)

6. Best Face
Austin Carter. I'm gonna give this to Austin for the simple fact that I feel Jessi has really gone out of her way to make Austin a likeable babyface. If I were a fan of XWA, Austin would be someone I looked forward to watching the matches of, because he's fun. And he's kinda nerdy and likes comics. I do, too. Relatable faces in E-Fedding? Not enough of them.

7. Best Heel
The SiteGround "Limit Exceeded" Page. I boo everytime.

Nah, for real. Lx-Tim. He's just such a dick, it's brilliant. If ever I'm asked why ELITE are heels, I'm going to point them to Lx-Tim and get them to read one of his ego-maniacal promos. And then he only goes and backs it all up by being TV Champion forever, the bastard!

And another one? Alice fucking Harris. She absolutely, completely dominated everything at the beginning of this year. It's easy to forget that before ELITE, Alice and Catastrophe were THE top heels in this place and they knocked it out the park every time. I miss Alice and her dominance.

8. Best Storyline
Who Owns the XWA?

9. Best Single Moment
Smith Jones' surprise Legends return
Diamond Jack Sabbath joins the Survivors to defeat DGX
The Great Rob Chapman/Jerod Barnez Double-Turn

10. Best Feud
Laurel Anne Hardy vs. The Survivors. She battled her way through the lot of them, and even killed off Whisper (basically).

Michael Swift. He came from nowhere and proceeded to have excellent match after excellent match and then to top it all off, he won the Lord of the Ring tournament. Awesome.

12. Best Finisher
Destiny Destroyer- Lx Tim. What a fucking finish.
GiggityGopher
Characters Handled: Joey Miles
Alicia Miles

Postby GiggityGopher » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:18 am

Three questions:
How much longer will this be open?
Will the actual voting be fed-wide or just the staff? I don't think I've ever actually been here for these awards before so I'm not sure.
And when will the winners be revealed?

I'm pretty excited for this since this is really my first time being in XWA for the whole year.
DJS
Site Admin

Postby DJS » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:19 am

Fed wide, not just staff! I'll keep this open till about Friday-ish, then I'll put up the polls. If all that goes to plan, we should reveal the winners by, I'd say, the last week of the year. OR a thought I've just had...which I'll take it to another thread!
styg
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer
Characters Handled: Yo mama
Also your da

Postby styg » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Again, only doing nominations that haven't already been named.

Razer - while he hasn't been around much over the second half of the year Razer was a dominant force in the first half, and held the Supreme Championship.

4. Match of the Year
Laurel Anne Hardy vs Whisper, Once Upon A Time In Mexico - This was the culmination of something DJS and I had planned for a while, and I feel like we did a good job of setting the tone for the year that war really has come to XWA.
DGX vs Diamond Jack Sabbath, Legends - Just as Laurel vs Whisper set the tone for 2016, this match feels like it's setting the tone for 2017. A truly bitter, personal war with a legitimately shocking ending.

5. Promo of the Year
A Future's Favour (Adam Fenric)
The Meeting of the Survivors
Last of the Untouchables (Diamond Jack Sabbath & Amy Taylor)
"The entire Legends press conference" feels like a cheat despite the whole thing being great, but I'd like to single out the DGX/DJS exchanges as a particular highlight.

8. Best Storyline
The Survivors vs XWA

9. Best Single Moment
Richard Maxwell installed as general manager of Massacre
Alice Harris destroys and retires Kaylee Mills
Catastrophe destroy (and retire?) Razer

10. Best Feud
Jerod Barnez vs Rob Chapman - I know Jerod vs ELITE has been nominated already, but this was the core of it.
The Survivors vs XWA seikigun - More of a backdrop superfeud admittedly, but basically every major storyline outside of ELITE vs Jerod tied into this arc in some way.
Lx-Tim vs Drake Dysfunction - Both guys tend to be really fun to see in feuds, and combined, they were doubly fun!

The Tarmogoyf - He's been a key presence both IC and OOC, and his big win over DJS felt well earned.

12. Best Finisher
The Doors of Perception, Laurel Anne Hardy - I'm a mark for the move I invented myself, but I have so much fun trying to find new ways to use this in each big match.
19W|5D|6L
Hardcore Champion x3 | Gladiatorial Champion | World Heavyweight Champion | first Supreme Champion
Breaker of The Streak
@sugarhardy

Return to “Piledriver Awards 2016”