General Music Discussion Thread

Comics, Movies, TV, DVDs and video games... this is the place to talk about 'em.
Trace
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

Re: General Music Discussion Thread

Postby Trace » Thu May 02, 2013 8:03 am

I'd say I've got a fairly eclectic taste in music, depending on what mood I'm in. There's nothing I can't stand more than people who claim you shouldn't have a diverse taste and should have a favorite genre. They rank right up there with people who stop liking bands the moment they get popular.

Generally I like more tranquil stuff. My personal music taste couldn't be more different to the 'Trace Demon' character whatsoever. My most played tend to be the likes of Essay and Stumbleine, The Paper Kites, RAC and Kill Paris which probably isn't in any of your wheelhouses based on what people have said so far. However, I also can't get enough of old school rock and rap either. All time favorites include Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, The Who, Wu Tang Clan and the Beastie Boys.

Right now though, Jedi Mind Tricks discography is on repeat and has been for about a good month or so:

DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Social Media/GFX Handler

Postby DJS » Thu May 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Amethyst wrote:I gotta disagree with you on the Pink Floyd, for me the best album was "The Wall"

I still think it was "Wish You Were Here".

As said in the thread that derailed into this discussion on XWA Zone, I'm a huge fan of 80's and 90's stuff. Bands like Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears, anything that has that sort of sound.

Other than that I'm big on Eminem, Led Zeppelin, and movie scores by Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer and Thomas Newman.

Yes, all of them. At the same time.
New to XWA? Need management? Look no further...
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Diamond Jack Sabbath wrote:
Amethyst wrote:I gotta disagree with you on the Pink Floyd, for me the best album was "The Wall"

I still think it was "Wish You Were Here".

As said in the thread that derailed into this discussion on XWA Zone, I'm a huge fan of 80's and 90's stuff. Bands like Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears, anything that has that sort of sound.

Other than that I'm big on Eminem, Led Zeppelin, and movie scores by Danny Elfman, Hans Zimmer and Thomas Newman.

Yes, all of them. At the same time.

One of the tracks in my playlist is "Jacks Lament" from The Nightmare Before Christmas. I can recite it word for word.

2016 Record: 0-0-0
Dragon Ace
XWA Co-Owner
XWA Co-Owner

Postby Dragon Ace » Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 pm

My own music taste is pretty varied. I love my Linkin Park, Eminem, Fort Minor, Metallica, Green Day, U2, John Farnham, Avenged Sevenfold, Saliva, Avril Lavigne, Limp Bizkit, ACDC, Airbourne, and Blink 182.

But since I've been in a relationship, at night me and my girl have our playlists mixed so we both hear music we like. Because of her, I actually now enjoy.....Musicals.

I've got Camp Rock 1 & 2. Hannah Montana. American Mall. Starstruck. RENT. And thats not even including the boybands my girl plays that I find myself humming along to.

I hate my life sometimes :(
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Dragon Ace wrote: Because of her, I actually now enjoy.....Musicals.

If you like Musicals (suppresses a shudder) then check out "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" it's one of only two musicals I will "willingly" watch.

Legendary
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

Postby Legendary » Thu May 02, 2013 3:46 pm

I do enjoy most forms of rock music from any time period.

There's a deviant from the norm here and there but I stick to my generic, sad, white-boy rock for the most part. Minus the Bear, Chiodos, Saosin/Circa Survive, Interpol, Copeland, Appleseed Cast, Glassjaw, Coheed and Cambria, The Strokes.

Some really good, random songs I like but don't necessarily care for their catalog:
"Criticism as Inspiration" Pedro the Lion
"Streetcleaner" Isis
"Ephemeral" Pelican
"March of the Fire Ants" Mastodon
"Refused are Fucking Dead" Refused
"Shimmer" Fuel

Certain bands I need to be in the mood for but generally like their catalog:
Massive Attack
Daft Punk
Wu-Tang Clan
Lou Reed/Velvet Underground
Dead Kennedys
The Adicts
Wednesday 13/Murderdolls
Marilyn Manson
HIM
Pantera
Nas

All time favorites:
Joy Division/New Order
The Cure
David Bowie
The Misfits
Tears for Fears
Melvins
The Beatles

God wrote:I lost a contact. Nobody move.

Proud member of the S.D.F.C.
Dragon Ace
XWA Co-Owner
XWA Co-Owner

Postby Dragon Ace » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Amethyst wrote:
Dragon Ace wrote: Because of her, I actually now enjoy.....Musicals.

If you like Musicals (suppresses a shudder) then check out "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" it's one of only two musicals I will "willingly" watch.

I've seen RHPS. Absolutely loved it. And that was before I started dating my girl.
Blake Jones

Postby Blake Jones » Fri May 03, 2013 12:31 am

Andy Grammer, Trey Songz, Imagine Dragons, Frank Ocean, Maroon 5, Tinie Tempah, Olly Murs, Justin Timberlake, 2AM Club, Daft Punk, Franz Ferdinand, Linkin Park, OneRepublic, Rob Thomas, Swedish House Mafia, and B.o.B. Those are the artists I listen to a lot.

These are the "in a mood" artists I listen to: Outkast, Jay-Z, Eminem, Taio Cruz, Far East Movement, Travie McCoy, Bruno Mars, Rolling Stones, and some other names that are escaping me.

XWA Record: 0-0-0
Hazard
Spelling Nazi

Postby Hazard » Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 am

The thing with me is my library is so expansive due to the sheer amount of different artists. I very rarely have full albums by artists because I don't really like everything they do. There's only a selection of bands/artists that I can honestly say I enjoy their entire works. Others I like bits and pieces of their work.

Alexisonfire, Bring Me the Horizon, Bury Tomorrow, Christina Aguilera, City and Colour, Ellie Goulding, Enter Shikari, Gallows (the New Lineup), InMe, Knife Party, Madeon, Michael Jackson, Minor Threat, Mumford & Sons, Nero, Pendulum, Seven Lions, Unicorn Kid, While She Sleeps, Woe, Is Me and Zedd. Those are the ones I can honestly say I enjoy pretty much everything they do.

Unicorn Kid - Feel So Real

Bury Tomorrow - A Curse

Eli Cottonwood, Giant Gonzalez, Gobbledy Gooker, The Great Khali, Head, Hervina, Mantaur, Moppy, Santina Marella, The Shockmaster, Swagger Soaring Eagle, YOSHIHIKO
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Sat May 04, 2013 2:56 am

Hazard wrote:The thing with me is my library is so expansive due to the sheer amount of different artists. I very rarely have full albums by artists because I don't really like everything they do.

I know the feeling buddy, the only four artist/bands I have the full discography of is "Weird Al", Disturbed, Petra, and Kenny Chesney. The last one is mostly for my wife.

Return to “Entertainment Chat”