General Music Discussion Thread

Comics, Movies, TV, DVDs and video games... this is the place to talk about 'em.
Hazard
Spelling Nazi

General Music Discussion Thread

Postby Hazard » Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 am

I felt this was needed considering the content of my entrance music thread. Discuss music here, post songs you like, post songs you find, whatever really.

Try to keep it nice. We all know that some people don't appreciate the music that others like. For example, I personally think Lady GaGa is an abomination to music, at least her Lady GaGa material is. Her Stefani Germanotta stuff is good. This opinion differs greatly from that of Dan, who loves Lady GaGa. He is entitled to said love, just as I am my electronic stuff.

I'm going to start with a nice uplfiting Soca tune.

Oh, I think a good rule of thumb would be to limit YouTube videos in a post to two or three.
Last edited by Hazard on Sat May 04, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eli Cottonwood, Giant Gonzalez, Gobbledy Gooker, The Great Khali, Head, Hervina, Mantaur, Moppy, Santina Marella, The Shockmaster, Swagger Soaring Eagle, YOSHIHIKO
Caine

Re: General Music Discussion Thread

Postby Caine » Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 am

Let's just say I am open-minded when it comes to music, and this song radiates an extremely lively energy, but I've grown to be more of a pessimist in the last few years, and probably stopped listening to songs similar to this when I was a wee little one or simply avoid feel-good music because I prefer being broody.

It's not that the song isn't in English (I think?) I'm more along the lines of O'Yaba or Lucky Dube when it comes to South African music, particularly "Armaggedon" or "Prisoner" etc (shit you can smoke to basically)

if I was at a wedding or we'd just won a football game, you'd probably catch me to this song, but yeah... while it isn't my style, you can't help but feel positive nonetheless.
#REWRITE.
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 am

If I can understand the words, I'll give it a listen. That's my policy.

2016 Record: 0-0-0
Caine

Postby Caine » Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 am

IGNORANT!!! Just joking... how about that Gangham Style?
#REWRITE.
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Thu May 02, 2013 2:36 am

I rank it right up there with this little gem.

Caine

Postby Caine » Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 am

I was actually being sarcastic and leaning more towards the crazy success of Gangham Style, given anyone who doesn't speak Korean has no idea what he is talking about lol... just something to keep in mind with your policy.

I didn't bother clicking the Davey Jones squidface video, because I didn't feel like it, now we are both ignorant. :woot:
#REWRITE.
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Thu May 02, 2013 3:12 am

English Translation:
Oppa is Gangnam style
Gangnam style

A girl who is warm and humanle during the day
A classy girl who know how to enjoy the freedom of a cup of coffee
A girl whose heart gets hotter when night comes
A girl with that kind of twist

I’m a guy
A guy who is as warm as you during the day
A guy who one-shots his coffee before it even cools down
A guy whose heart bursts when night comes
That kind of guy

Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Beautiful, loveable
Now let’s go until the end

Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style

Eh- Sexy Lady, Oppa is Gangnam style
Eh- Sexy Lady oh oh oh oh

A girl who looks quiet but plays when she plays
A girl who puts her hair down when the right time comes
A girl who covers herself but is more sexy than a girl who bares it all
A sensable girl like that

I’m a guy
A guy who seems calm but plays when he plays
A guy who goes completely crazy when the right time comes
A guy who has bulging ideas rather than muscles
That kind of guy

Beautiful, loveable
Beautiful, loveable
Now let’s go until the end

Oppa is Gangnam style

On top of the running man is the flying man, baby baby
I’m a man who knows a thing or two
On top of the running man is the flying man, baby baby
I’m a man who knows a thing or two

You know what I’m saying
Oppa is Gangnam style

This took about five minutes online...now I feel the same way I did when I translated the words to Rammestine's "Du Hast"

EBR
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

Postby EBR » Thu May 02, 2013 3:58 am

- I really love '80s pop music. Generally speaking pop music itself get's a bad rep because of boy bands and the like, but '80s pop is the shit. Odds are if you disagree, "Doctor Doctor" by Thompson Twins is better then whatever your favorite song is. That's just something you have to deal with.

- I don't like Robert Plant's voice. That's not to say I don't enjoy some Zeppelin songs (namely "When The Levee Breaks") but straight up - I like "Come With Me" by Puff Daddy more then "Kashmir".

- Anyone who blindly claims how rap music sucks and isn't real music or whatever tend to have the lamest (if not awful) taste in music. It's ignorance battling ignorance admittedly but I'm sorry, I can't take your opinion about how a music genre you know absolutely nothing about seriously when you like Nickelback or Theory of a Deadman.

- I can't explain or wrap my head around what Green Day was and what they became.

- I can't even remember if they actually sued or if it was just a rumor, but I don't think I (potentially (IE: if it actually happened)) lost more respect for a band then when the Red Hot Chilli Peppers sued the TV show "Californication".

- "St. Anger" (song) is comically lame to me.

- "The Marshall Mathers LP" is a masterpiece.

- Pink Floyd's best album? "Animals".

- Jay-Z isn't a businessman. He's a business, man.
Amethyst

Postby Amethyst » Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 am

I gotta disagree with you on the Pink Floyd, for me the best album was "The Wall"

Rob
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

Postby Rob » Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 am

I love Hip Hop.

The Wu Tang Clan is my favourite of all time. The amount of road trips me and my buddies did at Uni with just the 36 chambers on repeat meant we knew all the words to their songs by the end. Reminds me of the best times of my life.

Jay Z is the same to me. Powerful lyrics blended with beats that are just came out of nowhere.

I love Odd Future and Pro Era are the newest things I listen too. Plus Frank Ocean who is like a magician to me. His album was crazy.

However, I despise Macklemore with all my heart. If you can not perform your songs live, you shouldn't be allowed to put them out on the radio. If that rule was in place half the shitty repetitive music we are forced to listen to as they are "family friendly" would not be played. Don't get me wrong, i'm no hipster, I don't for example hate the Bieber. The guy works hard for what he has got and can at least put on a show... but this Kesha, Call me maybe girl and others like them can do one.

Also if you haven't seen the documentary "Sugerman" then get on it. Unbelievable movie and you might get a favourite new artist out of it.

p.s. I also like Blake Shelton as he is awesome even though i don't listen to much country.
CURRENT Image
FORMER Image

SDFC

Return to “Entertainment Chat”