DJS Attempts To Wrestle For Serious - Here's How It's Going...

Life! Sports! Movies! Video Games! Things! Whatever you wanna talk about that isn't about wrestling or the XWA, this is the place to do it! Anything goes...just don't be a dick.
DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Characters Handled: Emery Layton
Adam Fenric
Aki Yasuko
Amy Taylor

DJS Attempts To Wrestle For Serious - Here's How It's Going...

Postby DJS » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:51 am

I never actually set up a proper thread for this, did I?

If you're out the loop, I'm currently training at a professional wrestling school in Manchester for realsies and have been since January. Just came off the beginners course, I've now been to two Fundamentals courses and an Open Ring session (which was AWESOME). If you've been following my Twitter, you'll have seen tweets at least once a week or so charting my progress, but I only just realised I hadn't actually written anything on here! I can talk about it at length a bit more. So, lets talk about the experience so far...

Of the initial beginners' group, I was the smallest one. This may surprise none of you. On fundamentals I think this is the case too, apart from the two women I've met at the school so far. Also fundamentals seems to consist of a lot of people who make the decision to drift in and out and just stop turning up for long periods of time. I personally think that's bonkers but who am I to judge? The place is situated in a gym that is in a warehouse. We've come to call it the 'steroid gym' because the people next door who do all the lifting weights are INCREDIBLY HUGE MEN. We're talking Brock levels of hugeness here. Also, they tend to scream. A lot. They are very audible through the apparently thin walls. The actual training room has mats on the floor, some weights in the corner (which I'm going to avoid like the plague for the time being and I don't think are for us anyway) and a full, proper, 16x16 ring. Things are better than they were years ago, but to have an actual ring in a training school is still a bloody luxury and I'm very grateful for it.

First few weeks or so involved incredibly basic stuff. For example, the first week was about rolls, running the ropes, taking flat-back bumps- that kinda stuff. There's also the bridging and stretching stuff which we do at the start of every session- I'll be honest, I find this bit sort of easy. Bridging is essentially making sure your forehead is on the mat at all times no matter what angle you're at and for some reason, I just kind of got that instantly.

What I DIDN'T get instantly were the following (and you can judge me totally for some of these- they're harder in practice than they look):
- Footing. Keeping my feet together during rolls was/is tough until about...I wanna say this week? Something clicked on Wednesday and I just got it. Probably doing it slower in my head.
- Flip bumps - front bumps and back bumps are fine, flip bumps are Satan. You have to do this thing where you kick up into the air and then land into a back-bump. It's easier when taking an actual hip-toss apparently because there's something to propel you a bit more but without it, you're literally just walking into the middle of the ring and throwing your leg backwards until you flip and trying NOT to force your shoulders forward...it's a load of arse. But necessary-to-learn arse.
- The pacing of rope running - Now, rope running is fun. VERY much so. However, if you wanna do it properly, you need to pace it. I've stuck a 'three-big-steps-then-bounce' routine, which knackers you out a bit after a minute and a half or so, but really- in a match, who's gonna run the ropes for a minute and a half outside of a silly CHIKARA/PWG spot? Other than drills- not likely. The problem I'm having is getting my full arm over the top rope, or at least straightening my back so that it gets to that point. I can bounce off the rope, I can get my arm over it but pushing down on it is a toughy and I'm still getting there on it.
- Chain-wrestling. From a tie-up I can back someone into a corner, I can pull them into a headlock and I can do a flashy transition into a hammerlock. Beyond that, I'm not Adam Fenric just yet.
- Leap/Sleeps - also known as the Leap Frog into the drop onto the mat thing while the other guy runs the ropes. Still got problems with these. Can I do it when someone else is doing the sequence and I'm running the ropes? Yup. Easy. Can I drop on the mat? Yup- front-bump, squat up. Can I leapfrog? Only half. When someone's actually coming at me, I do this daft half-leap where I jump up and open my legs but one of them goes higher than the other and it just looks silly.

Other than that, I'm finding other stuff fairly okay. This week was the most I've enjoyed it. Its completely unrealistic and borderline delusional to expect yourself to become the best at everything on day one. It won't happen, no matter who tells you so. On that note, it's so cool to have something new to aim for every week. Stuff I struggled with on week one are easy to me, so thinking in terms of six months to a year from now, the bits I'm having issues with now will probably be second nature. Bumps hurt and so does the mat...to a degree. After a while, they do hurt but you just sort of get on with it. The ring is about as hard as falling on a big bit of grass on a field. I have had bruises, cuts, grazes and lovely fun things. My back hurts now as I type this but luckily cos classes are Wednesday and Saturday, I get enough time to recover and carry on with life, but it's happening less by the week so it's all good.

So yeah. Going well. I'll update this as more things happen!

EDIT: Oh yeah and I hit someone with a shit-load of clotheslines at like high speed from the corner today and it was fucking awesome.
New to XWA? Need management? Look no further...
DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Characters Handled: Emery Layton
Adam Fenric
Aki Yasuko
Amy Taylor

Re: DJS Attempts To Wrestle For Serious - Here's How It's Going...

Postby DJS » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 pm

So yesterday, I learned some cool takedowns and stuff. That went well.

Today, however, we had promo class...

No video cos its in my pocket and I was trying to be discreet.
New to XWA? Need management? Look no further...

Return to “No Holds Barred!”