Character Development: Acceptance and Assumptions Prt. 2 [Austin Carter]

You might think it all ends when the last bell rings, but not in the XWA! This is your first stop to post promos, interviews and character development featuring our stars that is NOT for a current show.
Jessi
Characters Handled: Austin Carter
Trevor Miller
Axton Pierce (only for LOTR)

Character Development: Acceptance and Assumptions Prt. 2 [Austin Carter]

Postby Jessi » Wed May 09, 2018 9:51 pm

MAY 1, 2018 // 9:15 AM

We open up to a diner in the Buckeye State of Ohio, 4 hours away from the town where XWA’s May Supershow, No Man's Land. Here we see the lovely pairing of Laura Stark and Austin Carter. They sit in a booth, close to the middle of the establishment.

Currently, one of them is occupied with their phone. Not a bad thing, though. He's just reading lyrics written by Stark, herself. Stark watches him in anticipation. After reading a couple lines, he stops to look up at her and then looks back at the phone.

AUSTIN CARTER
… I think it's great.

LAURA STARK
Really?!

AUSTIN CARTER
Yeah! I mean, it's not your worse, so…

LAURA STARK
I hate you.

AUSTIN CARTER
I'm kidding! It's really good, seriously. Though, you're gonna have to sing it to me later on so I can get a feel for it.

LAURA STARK
Like your own personal concert? You get those like every other day.

AUSTIN CARTER
Yeah, I know. I'm just trying to get you in shape for Philly. The concert before the concert, ya know.

Laura goes silent. Her finger tapping on the coffee mug in front of her. Austin senses that something isn't quite right.

AUSTIN CARTER
L… what's wrong?

LAURA STARK
Nothing, really. Just nerves, I guess.

AUSTIN CARTER
Says the interviewer who speaks in front of thousands of people for a living.

LAURA STARK
This is different. I'm singing, something I don't for a living, in front of I don't know how many people. It's been a while too. I don't know if they'll like me or how I sing. It's just… I don't know.

AUSTIN CARTER
Since when do you care what people think? Last I checked that was my job… that I just now quit.

You're going to do great. And if I have to, I'll keep on reminding you until the day comes. I'm going to be soooo annoying to you, holy shit.

LAURA STARK
Language!

AUSTIN CARTER
Fuck.

She glares at him like only she can while he answers back with a cheeky grin. His phone vibrates, he checks his screen.

AUSTIN CARTER
Brother.

LAURA STARK
Biological or from another mother?

AUSTIN CARTER
The first.

He answers the text while Laura looks on, sipping on her coffee. Her mood turns from curious to anxious in a matter of seconds as she begins to think and remember about upcoming events.

AUSTIN CARTER
I feel eyes…

He looks up.

AUSTIN CARTER
… why such worry filled eyes? Is it because of the lyrics because they are absolutely fine, honest.

LAURA STARK
No, not that.

AUSTIN CARTER
Oh, well my brother is fine too. If that's what you're worried about.

LAURA STARK
Not that either.

AUSTIN CARTER
Well, I'm all out of guesses, so…

LAURA STARK
I just started thinking about No Man's Land and couldn't help but think about your match. I couldn't help but worry, that's all.

AUSTIN CARTER
Why are you worried?

LAURA STARK
I was there, Alex. In Manchester. I saw the exact moment it happened. You came back and the first thing you did was piss Trevor off. What makes you think he's not capable of doing that again.

AUSTIN CARTER
You don't need to wor-

LAURA STARK
Actually, I do. I decided to get caught up about a Wrestler and here we are. So, forgive me if I want you to be careful.

AUSTIN CARTER
You think I haven't been careful?

LAURA STARK
That is not what I'm saying.

AUSTIN CARTER
That's exactly what you're saying.

LAURA STARK
No, it's not. What I'm saying is that Trevor has Danny waiting around in the back for the right moment to strike…

AUSTIN CARTER
I'll have A.J. to back me up, it's going to be fine.

LAURA STARK
And yet look what happened last time.

They sit in silence, both of them trying their best to prevent eye contact. The silence goes from normal to awkward in a matter of seconds, that until the waitress comes in with the check when both Laura and Austin go for their pockets. Austin, though, signals to Laura to let her know that “he's got it”.

Once the waitress leaves to process his card, Austin is the first to speak.

AUSTIN CARTER
Look, I uhm…

He remembers the words his therapist told him during their last session.

AUSTIN CARTER
Thank you. For everything. You've done more for me than I could've done myself, which is sad to say out loud but it's true. You care and worry so much and I uhh… I love you for that. There, I said it first, happy?

LAURA STARK
Very much so, yes.

The waitress returns with the final receipt and Austin's card. The pair collect their thing as they go to head out of the establishment.

AUSTIN CARTER
So, uhmm… Is there anything you wanna say before we go?

LAURA STARK
Hmm?

AUSTIN CARTER
Anything at all?

LAURA STARK
Uhmm… no, not really. Said all I wanted to say before, so…

AUSTIN CARTER
Oh, ok. That's fine. We should get going, pretty lengthy drive.

Laura smiles as Austin walks in front of her. It's like a kind of sneaky smile, it'll be explained further later. The two get in his car, Laura before Austin. He grabs his seat belt. As he turns to buckle it up, Laura plants a quick one on his lips.

AUSTIN CARTER
What was that for?

LAURA STARK
Oh you know, cause I love you. What? Did you think you were gonna say it and not get one back? Heh, please.

Laura looks forward, not turning her for anything but the window to her right. Meanwhile, Austin has yet to move with a mixture of shock and confusion on his face. Not feeling the car turn on, Laura turns to Austin.

LAURA STARK
Austin… Earth to Ozzo.

AUSTIN CARTER
Hmm…

LAURA STARK
Aren't you going to start the car?

AUSTIN CARTER
Oh, right. Sorry.

Laura smiles and shakes her head as Austin finally starts the car. He backs up from the parking space and the two set off on their long journey to Cincinnati. Join us next time as we see… something else.

[END]

"Santa will deliver no presents. I will Crown Kick him. Fuck you, small children." - DJS

Return to “Beyond The BattleZone”