The Elimination Chamber Debacle

Whether it's what's Best for Business or...whatever TNA's doing, discuss wrestling here!
Dan
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

The Elimination Chamber Debacle

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:17 am

I don't think we can get by without talking about this.

The Intercontinental Title elimination chamber was the worst worked match I've seen all year and was full of complete botchery, not only from Mark Henry's unbreakable bullet-proof chamber popping right off when Barrett slammed Ziggler into it and Henry standing there like he was lost, not only from Ziggler audibly having to call the whole damn match on the fly, but the whole Sheamus-blocking-his-chamber-from-opening thing that was SUPPOSED to be on purpose was completely ignored by the commentators and wasn't even acknowledged and thus, looked like yet another botch. I'm also not so sure about having Ryback with the title and putting King Barrett out first to R-fucking-Truth. Are they purposely burying Barrett yet again, even after his KotR win? I thought the King of the Ring meant something, but I can't really remember any matches he's won after becoming King Barrett. The whole situation and match just seemed like a clusterfuck to me, but I'm sure it wasn't helped by the fact that Rusev wasn't cleared to compete. Kinda put a whole damper on the Ziggler/Rusev dynamic that could've driven the whole match.

Your thoughts?
Alex_Krull

Re: The Elimination Chamber Debacle

Postby Alex_Krull » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Because of this I am thinking of going into NXT, TNA sucks balls reminds me of WCW and the reasons it went under, KoH cannot get into it... I know some of the best wrestlers come from there but I cannot watch it.
:wgaf: Alex & Kristine Krull :wgaf:
:stongue: Join the #PushKrull movement :stongue:
DJS
Social Media/GFX Handler
Social Media/GFX Handler

Postby DJS » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:41 pm

ROH is okay. TNA's not worth the bother, they're basically on their end of life sequence.

Barrett's thing right now is the King of the Ring curse. WWE these days likes the idea that if a heel wins the KOTR, they lose every match. With regards to Ryback winning, I don't have an issue. I do quite like Ryback. He's a terrible heel but a great likeable face and he definitely tries his best to be something great.

All this said...the Chamber match was atrociously bad. But then, with the Owens stuff and the main event, it was never designed to be the real story of this Pay Per View.
New to XWA? Need management? Look no further...
DGX
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

Postby DGX » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:45 pm

I honestly don't know why you're surprised. In the long illustrious history of KOTR there really has not been a King that was helped by the title/win since Booker T in 2006. Prior to that it also served as a great stepping stone in the push of Brock Lesnar in the early 2000s. Both of those worked for specific reasons, in Lesnar's case it was because in addition to the title he won an actual title shot and capitalized on it almost immediately after beating the Rock at Summerslam to become champion and begin his first reign which was for all intents and purposes pretty dominant before Heyman swerved him to Show. Booker T was the first to do what all the failed KOTRs have done since, he actually embraced the title, dawned all the exaggerated garbs and mannerisms. Literally every KOTR since has tried to emulate the Booker T model but without the critical piece that made it successful: Booker was given a championship and built as the main antagonist of the B Show.Also I can say Booker was freaking amazing in the role and his championship reign as King Booker was on the best heel runs since Flair. No matter the obstacle he won, even if to the casual viewer it was by infuriating shenanigans. Bottom line? KOTR was allowed to mean something in both those cases because the last two successful Kings went on to be world champions of fairly lengthy and impressive title runs. It was simply symptomatic for their times.

WWE today is not the place for a King tournament winning superstar that will not be pushed into the main championship scene. I was actually closet happy Ambrose was screwed out the tourny by fuckery because I knew the winner of it would go absolutely nowhere. The last two Kings prior to Barrett tried to follow the King Booker model without a world title run, which is impossible now that there is no A/B show and no spare world title that can be given to the non "Main Event" superstars, or at least the people WWE is not keen on pushing right just now.Between injury to Brian derailing their midcard plans again along with the injury to Rusev the Main Event scene is about all they have that's healthy. And since the Shield is their most successful act in years that has produced three main event calibre stars WWE is having to lean on them harder than hoped. Fortunately they seem to be delivering, at least Ambrose and Rollins are. Reigns seems to have settled into his role as not the main guy for now, which is actually great for him because it gives him time. He can hone his mic skills, his in ring craft, still be at the feet of two masters since you know behind that curtain they still are together working angles and it sets him up to be a really great Big Bad. Dean will get his Stone Cold push, suffer adversity this year with Roman at his back the whole time, Dean gets his Mania moment and Roman betrays him out of jealousy setting up a great feud next year. But I digress, back to the point about KOTR.

William Regal tried to follow the King Booker model to an extent. He was a GM as well so he was a grand heel authority figure who brought great villainous and Britishness to the role. But he was only allowed to use his power and influence corruptly to parlay an IC title run which next to no one cared about. And while he had some good calibre opponents and won through heelish nonsense there was really no stakes in any of it so it faded from memory as a flop of an angle. Which is too bad because Regal is talented enough to have replicated the Booker run and had it be more infuriating because he was the GM too. But no prize, no spotlight, and WWE intent that year on it being the year of Orton/Cena which was straight up on the biggest borefest years in history along with Triple H's in ring twilight and the fact Regal was on Raw meant that it was doomed to marginalization and thus failure.

King Sheamus was even worse. He also tried to follow the Booker model but was given virtually zero championships and booked horrifically throughout his whole run with that gimmick. So much so that when superstars are booked to look idiotic and lame our old friend Alex Sean once coined the phrase that said superstar was "King Sheamus'd". All kinds of rumors abound about why it happened, from a backstage feud with Kevin Dunn to backstage politics balancing the scales of his quick push to him not meeting expectations as a main eventer and being busted back to the midcard. Either way, his KOTR reign was a four month burial of him losing constantly.

Now it seems Barrett is poised to follow that trend. He's been alternating wins and losses on TV and given Sheamus ironically as a lackey but also his first PPV as King is a loss. If he continues to lose on PPV we can begin the speculation of what Barrett has done to deserve his burial either way KOTR in recent years has been allot like MITB booking, the winner shall lose and look inept constantly for months until management decides it's time to move on. The only downer for the King is at least the Bank winner has a better than average shot of getting a title run out of it.

TL;DR version: WWE isn't set up for a person they are not committed to pushing to the main event holding a title like King of the Ring because without an at least impressive title run with a couple of key wins it's doomed to failure.

Dan Bennett: And at first I smiled and just said; "Sweetheart, it's because most people are losers and have little loser babies."
styg

Postby styg » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Long before Booker or Brock, guys like Harley Race, Randy Savage and Owen Hart used the monarch gimmick after winning, and I suspect WWE are stuck on that idea still despite it now being long played out. But it's compounded by the way the winners are then booked in the cases discussed; WWE's mode of booking relies so, so heavily on champions losing all the time in non-title matches that it's hardly surprising they treat their King of the Ring the same way too. William Regal was rumoured to be headed for a main event run off his KotR win until he got done for a second wellness policy violation... Sheamus on the other hand was just a dreadful run. It clearly just happened in an attempt to keep him halfway relevant during a period where - as they say - creative had nothing for him. Considering The Miz was WWE Champion at the time, I still think John Morrison should have won that year and received a WWE Championship match.
19W|3D|5L
Hardcore Champion x3 | Gladiatorial Champion | World Heavyweight Champion | first Supreme Champion
Breaker of The Streak
@sugarhardy
Alex_Krull

Postby Alex_Krull » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Thinking about it, the money in the bank holder took over the king of the ring... the real guys who get the big pushes are:
* Royal Rumble winner.
* Money in the bank holder.
Dan
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer

Postby Dan » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Money in the bank winner usually gets buried for the next 3-5 months. They make them look like crap so when they do cash in it's supposed to be a surprise.
Alex_Krull

Postby Alex_Krull » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:36 pm

But still only one hasn't won and usually the winner gets a long run as Champ.
styg

Postby styg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:24 pm

Strictly speaking two, but given that one of those two was Cena... but yeah, I can agree with the idea that Money in the Bank has supplanted King of the Ring. I'm not sure how much the Rumble counts though, since it more often than not goes to someone who's already a main eventer.
19W|3D|5L
Hardcore Champion x3 | Gladiatorial Champion | World Heavyweight Champion | first Supreme Champion
Breaker of The Streak
@sugarhardy

Return to “Wrestling Chat”