Piledriver Awards 2018: Nomination Thread!

Every year, the XWA commemorates and rewards the good work of you, the XWA roster, with our user-nominated and voted Piledriver Awards! Click inside for more info...
RevolutionJones
XWA World Tag Team Champion
Characters Handled: A.J. Morales
Hyphy Machinery (Dontell Porter & Jason Moana)

Piledriver Awards 2018: Nomination Thread!

Postby RevolutionJones » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:52 am

Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again!

As Legends falls upon us once more, the finale to the entire year of the XWA, it's time to commemorate the success of those who've put together the best stuff, those moments that made you go "holy shit!" and the members who made this place go round.

Below you'll find a form for the 2018 XWA Piledriver Awards. In here, you may nominate what you thought was the best of that category. Try to explain why you've made your pick, what impressed you about it. As with last year, you can nominate more than once per category, so if you want to throw a few nominations in rather than just one, go for it! The more we have to vote on to decide a winner, the better!

Some of these will be presented In-Universe on the first Massacre of 2019. Nominations will be open until DECEMBER 14th, 2018!

Here are the categories for all awards that will be on offer:

1. Most Valuable Player
Who has been the MVP of the XWA in-and-out of character throughout the year?

2. Most Creative Roleplayer
Who has thought outside the box the most and come up with the most creative storylines, matches and overall ideas?

3. Overall Wrestler of the Year
Regardless of alignment, this award is for the person who has written the best Matches, Promos and Segments through all of 2018? You must specify the character if they handle several.

4. Match of the Year
(Provide a link as well so we can actually read what you're putting forward)

5. Promo of the Year

6. Hero of the Year
Who has been the best babyface of 2018?

7. Villain of the Year
Who has been the most diabolical heel of 2018?

8. Hardcore 24/7 Match of the Year
What was the BEST Hardcore 24/7 submission of 2018?

9. Best Storyline
What has the best storyline of 2018 been?

10. Best Single Moment of 2018
What single moment- be it in a match, a promo or elsewhere in the in-character sections- was the absolute best moment of the year?

11. Feud of the Year
What has been the best feud of the year?

12. Breakout Star of the Year
Of all of the brand new stars to grace the XWA over the last twelve months, who has made the biggest impact and been the best of the lot?

13. Best Finisher
Who has the best finisher of everyone who has been part of the active roster over the year? Consider how it has been implemented, how it has been built to in matches and it's effectiveness as factors.

14. Best 'One-Shot' Appearance
We had lots of people make appearances in XWA who wouldn't normally appear for us, be it in tournaments or otherwise. Who was the BEST of these and made the most impact?

15. Best Social Media Presence
As with last year, Twitter's been a major presence in XWA. Who had the best in-character social media presence of 2018?

16. One to Watch
Out of everyone that showed up toward the end of 2018, who's primed for even bigger things next year?
Things to bear in mind:
- The eligibility period runs from December 12th, 2017 (the day the first Hardcore 24/7 challenge thread of the yearly cycle went live) to XWA Legends 2018. You can nominate anything/one that happened over that time.
- Before anyone asks, yes you can vote for your own stuff...just be sensible about it!
GiggityGopher
Lord of the Ring Participant
Characters Handled: Joey Miles
Alicia Miles

Re: Piledriver Awards 2018: Nomination Thread!

Postby GiggityGopher » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:58 am

1. Most Valuable Player
DJS

DJS
RufusMGS

Emery Layton
Lx-Tim

4. Match of the Year
No Man's Land - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 245&t=8106

5. Promo of the Year
"Facing the Mirror" by Rob Chapman - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... f=9&t=8451
"The Disease" by Sean Young & Danny Diamond - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 267&t=8458

6. Hero of the Year
Emery Layton
Albion Gale

7. Villain of the Year
Lx-Tim
Kaida Kagome
Smith Jones

N/A

9. Best Storyline
I'm not even sure what to call it, but essentially DJS' story leading to the Legends Triple Threat.
Rob Chapman's Spiral Into Self-Loathing

Kaida Kagome's Yakuza Ties Are Revealed (Massacre #32)
Danny Diamond Spares Sean Young (Legends)

11. Feud of the Year
N/A

Albion Gale
Kaida Kagome

13. Best Finisher
Minka Carter's Cleopatra Clutch
Kaida Kagome's Shikei

N/A

Minka Carter
Joey Miles

16. One to Watch
Jace Albright
Last edited by GiggityGopher on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
XxChronoTrigxX
XWA Legend

Postby XxChronoTrigxX » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:27 am

1. Most Valuable Player

TBA

TBA

4. Match of the Year

Diamond/Young Toronto Street Fight

5. Promo of the Year

TBA *Going to read a few I really enjoyed before final verdict*

6. Hero of the Year

Angelica Vaughn

7. Villain of the Year

Smith Jones

TBA *Need to read all Submissions*

9. Best Storyline

TBA

TBA

11. Feud of the Year

Diamond Vs Young Feud

Albion Gale

13. Best Finisher

Point of Controversy - Smith Jones' Finishing Backstabber

TBA

AJ Morales

16. One to Watch

Sarah Lacklan
AngelicaVaughn

Postby AngelicaVaughn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 pm

(Gonna try and add some more in, can't decide on the fly for some of these...)

1. Most Valuable Player
Who has been the MVP of the XWA in-and-out of character throughout the year?
A.J. Morales

Who has thought outside the box the most and come up with the most creative storylines, matches and overall ideas?

Regardless of alignment, this award is for the person who has written the best Matches, Promos and Segments through all of 2018? You must specify the character if they handle several.
Smith Jones
Emery Layton

4. Match of the Year
TBD

5. Promo of the Year
TBD

6. Hero of the Year
Who has been the best babyface of 2018?
Emery Layton
A.J. Morales

7. Villain of the Year
Who has been the most diabolical heel of 2018?
Smith Jones
Kaida Kagome

What was the BEST Hardcore 24/7 submission of 2018?
A.J. Morales vs. Annie Zellor
Sarah Lacklan vs Will Neilson vs Vespertine vs Albion Gale

9. Best Storyline
What has the best storyline of 2018 been?
TBD

What single moment- be it in a match, a promo or elsewhere in the in-character sections- was the absolute best moment of the year?
TBD

11. Feud of the Year
What has been the best feud of the year?
Austin Carter vs. Trevor Miller

Of all of the brand new stars to grace the XWA over the last twelve months, who has made the biggest impact and been the best of the lot?
Albion Gale
Blake Archer

13. Best Finisher
Who has the best finisher of everyone who has been part of the active roster over the year? Consider how it has been implemented, how it has been built to in matches and it's effectiveness as factors.
TBD

We had lots of people make appearances in XWA who wouldn't normally appear for us, be it in tournaments or otherwise. Who was the BEST of these and made the most impact?
Annie Zellor
Cosmo Cooper

As with last year, Twitter's been a major presence in XWA. Who had the best in-character social media presence of 2018?
Smith Jones
Emery Layton

16. One to Watch
Out of everyone that showed up toward the end of 2018, who's primed for even bigger things next year?
Sarah Lacklan
Vespertine
GiggityGopher
Characters Handled: Joey Miles
Alicia Miles

Postby GiggityGopher » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:27 am

GiggityGopher wrote:1. Most Valuable Player
DJS

DJS
RufusMGS

Emery Layton
Lx-Tim

4. Match of the Year
No Man's Land - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 245&t=8106

5. Promo of the Year
"Facing the Mirror" by Rob Chapman - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... f=9&t=8451
"The Disease" by Sean Young & Danny Diamond - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 267&t=8458

6. Hero of the Year
Emery Layton
Albion Gale

7. Villain of the Year
Lx-Tim
Kaida Kagome
Smith Jones

N/A

9. Best Storyline
I'm not even sure what to call it, but essentially DJS' story leading to the Legends Triple Threat.
Rob Chapman's Spiral Into Self-Loathing

Kaida Kagome's Yakuza Ties Are Revealed (Massacre #32)
Danny Diamond Spares Sean Young (Legends)

11. Feud of the Year
N/A

Albion Gale
Kaida Kagome

13. Best Finisher
Minka Carter's Cleopatra Clutch
Kaida Kagome's Shikei

N/A

Emery Layton
Joey Miles

16. One to Watch
Jace Albright
Edited to fill out the awards (excluding three categories)
Rob Chapman
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer
Characters Handled: Rob Chapman, Ethan Cross, Jace Albright

Postby Rob Chapman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:42 pm

1. Most Valuable Player
DJS

DJS, RufusMGS

Emery Layton
LX-Tim

4. Match of the Year
XWA Legends 2018 - Emery Laton vs. Adam Fenric vs. Aki Yasuko
XWA Legends 2018 - Sean Young vs. Danny Diamond
XWA No Man's Land - The No Man's Land Match

5. Promo of the Year
Massacre 37: Dream (Sean Young/Danny Diamond) - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... f=9&t=8401
Diamonds Are Forever (Danny Diamond) http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... f=9&t=8436
Face Your Demons: A Gimmick? (Sean Young) - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 248&t=8440
Massacre 39: The Disease (Danny Diamond/Sean Young) - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 267&t=8458
Beyond The Battlezone: Swamp Thing / Kill Your Conscience (Ace Acid) - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 154&t=8253 (The fact that we never got a followup to this absolutely guts me)
Face Your Demons: The Girl Who Lived Forever (Emery Layton) - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 248&t=8443
Massacre 38: Darkened Skies (Albion Gale) - http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 266&t=8432

6. Hero of the Year
Emery Layton

7. Villain of the Year
Aki Yasuko
Mark Storey
Smith Jones

TBA

9. Best Storyline
Emery Layton & Adam Fenric vs. Kaida Kagome & later, Aki Yasuko
Sean Young vs. Danny Diamond
The overall story of A.J. Morales and Emery Layton this year
XWA / IYHWF Worlds Collide

Serena Maxwell ending Aki Yasuko's career at XWA Legends 2018
Danny Diamond showing mercy at XWA Legends 2018

11. Feud of the Year
Emery Layton & Adam Fenric vs. Kaida Kagome & later, Aki Yasuko
Sean Young vs. Danny Diamond

Albion Gale
Kaida Kagome

13. Best Finisher
Kaida Kagome - Shining Dragon
Albion Gale - Purple Rain

TBA

A.J. Morales
Joey Miles
Emery Layton
Kaida Kagome

16. One to Watch
I have no idea why a bunch of you voted Jace Albright, but fuck it. I want that in character. Jace Albright.
Also Sarah Lacklan[/center]

Things to bear in mind:
- The eligibility period runs from December 12th, 2017 (the day the first Hardcore 24/7 challenge thread of the yearly cycle went live) to XWA Legends 2018. You can nominate anything/one that happened over that time.
- Before anyone asks, yes you can vote for your own stuff...just be sensible about it!
Last edited by Rob Chapman on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Rob Chapman (RETIRED)
Win/Loss Record (2005 - 2018) | 74 - 48 - 2
Win/Loss Record (Final Run) | 2 - 2 - 0

Ethan Cross
Win/Loss Record (Previous Run) | 0 - 3 - 0

Jace Albright
Win/Loss Record (Current Run) | 6 - 3 - 0
Dan
XWA Hall of Famer
XWA Hall of Famer
Characters Handled: Dan Bennett

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:27 pm

1. Most Valuable Player
Because nobody else nominated him, I'ma say Michael Swift. He's booked Massacre the entire year consistently.

AJ Morales. The HC365 rules forced him to be creative for like 7 months straight.

Emery Layton

4. Match of the Year
I figure I'll grab a nomination for myself, even though it'll get no votes.
Dan Bennett vs. AJ Morales, XWA On A Pole: http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 243&t=8056

5. Promo of the Year
A Gimmick?, XWA Face Your Fears: http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 248&t=8440

6. Hero of the Year
AJ Morales
Emery Layton
Adam Fenric

7. Villain of the Year
Aki Yasuko
Smith Jones
Kaida Kagome
LX Tim

Sarah Lacklan vs. Rey Del Presagio: http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewto ... 174&t=8421

9. Best Storyline
The Runaways, hands down

Adam Fenric ending Emery Layton's career, Legends 2018

11. Feud of the Year
I'm not super aware of a lot of feuds, so the only one that really stood out to me was Archer vs. Levinator

My top 3 breakout stars
1. Angelica Vaughn
2. Albion Gale
3. Sarah Lachlan

13. Best Finisher
*coughOdeToRatedXcough*
Nah. It's gotta be either the Prikasa or the Point of Controversy

Kelsey Spencer. I wish she'd have stuck around, I liked her style.

AJ Morales. Man, does that guy tweet A LOT.

16. One to Watch
Sarah Lachlan, 100%. I would say overall Angelica Vaughn, but she was here all year, so I'll go with her tag partner, Sarah.
RevolutionJones

Postby RevolutionJones » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 am

1. Most Valuable Player
DJS. He came into this knowing it would be his final year running the place, and instead of half-assing it, he put in the work to both give his characters a satisfying finale and prepare for the transition of power we're going through right now.

Smith Jones. From the riot cops and TV title defenses at the start of the year, to the introduction of Smith Jones LIVE!, to the feud with Austin Carter towards the end of the year, and everything else that went on, Smitty has consistently found ways to not only advance what Smith Jones himself is doing, but also help other handlers establish their characters and advance their storylines.

Lx-Tim. If XWA was a real promotion, this would be the guy everyone knows is the Ace.

Emery Layton. Of course, if Tim was Okada, Emery was Naito. Don't think about that comparison too hard or it'll break down.

4. Match of the Year
The No Man's Land match (Tim/Layton/Morales/Miles). Hooooly fuck, you guys, this one was insane. The single biggest competitive match of the year, with three epic to-notch submissions and one of the most down-to-the-wire voting periods I've seen in this fed.

Layton vs. Fenric vs. Yasuko, Legends 2018. Long-term storytelling at its finest right here, and a fitting conclusion to an incredible run of e-fedding on DJS's part.

5. Promo of the Year
"Forgotten" by Jerod Barnez. This is a promo that definitely should not be forgotten, as despite the amount of plot threads here that unfortunately got left hanging, I remember reading this the day it came out, having only been around for the tail end of Jerod's second Supreme Championship run, and going "Oh, shiiiiiiiiiit!" A perfect re-introduction to one of XWA's most compelling monster heels.

"The Stars Go Out- Part Three" by Emery Layton. Who knew one black sky could create so much existential dread?

6. Hero of the Year
Angelica Vaughn. Playing a genuinely nice white-meat babyface is one of the most underestimated challenges in e-fedding, and Angie has put in the character work to absolutely nail it.

7. Villain of the Year
Kaida Kagome. God, she's such a piece of shit. She's like Samoa Joe if Joe was literally a mob boss instead of just a guy who talks like one. I love her.

A.J. Morales vs. The Lynx at City of the Island Hills. Technically not a 24/7 match, but it happened everywhere except the ring, and if I can't avoid nominating myself in this category, I might as well go for the creation that pushed my limits the most.

9. Best Storyline
Everybody already nominated The Fall of the Runaways, but yeah, love me some continuity and complex long-term storytelling.

Austin Carter Tries Not to Crack. Watching Austin come back and genuinely struggle with his demons and insecurities throughout the year, whether he was facing Trevor Miller, Smith Jones, or anyone else, was one of the more underrated arcs of character development I've seen this year, and it deserves more love.

Dan Bennett's Last Ride. A compelling, emotional yearlong tragedy about a good man whose flaws lead him down the wrong path and turn him from hero to villain, then back to hero when he uses his last moments as an active wrestler to redeem himself. Well done.

Angelica Vaughn cries when Sarah Lacklan's interference gets her booed, Massacre #37. I love tag teams with a Sting-and-Luger dynamic, so Heel Shit Up! has been right up my alley. And no moment better illustrates the contrast between Sarah's cynical corner-cutting and Angie's innocence and naive trust in her friend than this moment right here.

Rob Chapman steps away. This one genuinely shocked me--not to mention made me even more upset with myself about no-showing our match at Face Your DEMONS!--but it also set the stage perfectly for the old guard to step aside and the new generation (namely Jace and Ethan) to take over.

11. Feud of the Year
Austin Carter vs. Smith Jones. This one brought out new sides of two familiar faces and gave them both new layers of depth as characters.

Albion Gale. I don't think anyone expected a rookie from a brand-new handler to run the table and win LOTR this year, but Albion did it.

Kaida Kagome, for all the same reasons I nominated her for Villain of the Year. Next big supervillain of XWA right here.

13. Best Finisher
Emery Layton's Prikasa. I don't think I've seen any other move linger in other characters' heads the way the Prikasa did whenever Emery was around (or recently departed from the situation). Safe to say, Legends will not be the last time A.J. borrows it in tribute.

Cosmo Cooper. Apart from the fiasco around the Cosmo/Jerod match exposing holes in our voting system that we subsequently had to fix, Cosmo's matches contained the most layered storytelling and progression of anyone in the tournament, with each match he sent in building expertly off of the last one.

@MinkaCarterIYH. Twitter is useful for bridging the gap between events and supplementing storylines, but nobody used their Twitter to tell their character's story quite like Minka did with her mix of the familiar ranting about DEMONS! that got her so over last year and the interactions that both of her warring personalities had with each other and everybody else.

@TheEmeryLayton. Y'all have no idea how much I went out of my way to have A.J. get into Twitter banter with Emery this year. She just jumps off the screen over there. I'm gonna miss that.

@SerenaIsIYH. And on the flip side of that, we have Adam basically going "I FINALLY GET IT! I FINALLY KNOW HOW THIS CHARACTER WORKS! BASK IN IT!" And so we did. Tell Serena she's special. Bring her gifts and presents.

16. One to Watch
Gotta give shout-outs here to Ethan Cross and Jace Albright. It's clear that what happened at Legends was just the beginning for both of these two, and it'll be fascinating to see what Rob has in store.

Don't sleep on Will Neilson either. Man's just getting started.
RevolutionJones

Postby RevolutionJones » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:15 pm

All right then, nominations are now CLOSED. Currently tallying up the nominees so we can start the voting threads, which will all go up today.

Thank you to everyone who made submissions in this thread!

Return to “Annual Piledriver Awards”