Piledriver Awards 2017: Nomination Thread!

DJS
Site Admin

Piledriver Awards 2017: Nomination Thread!

Postby DJS » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again!

As Legends falls upon us once more, the finale to the entire year of the XWA, it's time to commemorate the success of those who've put together the best stuff, those moments that made you go "holy shit!" and the members who made this place go round.

Below you'll find a form for the 2017 XWA Piledriver Awards. In here, you may nominate what you thought was the best of that category. Try to explain why you've made your pick, what impressed you about it. Here's a thing I wanna do as well, you can nominate more than once, so if you want to throw a few nominations in rather than just one, go for it! The more we have to vote on to decide a winner, the better!

Some of these will be presented In-Universe on the first Massacre of 2018. Nominations will be open until 22ND DECEMBER 2017!

Here are the catagories for all awards that will be on offer:

1. Most Valuable Player
Who has been the MVP of the XWA in-and-out of character throughout the year?

2. Most Creative Roleplayer
Who has thought outside the box the most and come up with the most creative storylines, matches and overall ideas?

3. Overall Wrestler of the Year
Irregardless of alignment, this award is for the person who has written the best Matches, Promos and Segments through all of 2017? You must specify the character if they handle several.

4. Match of the Year
(Provide a link as well so we can actually read what you're putting forward)

5. Promo of the Year
(Provide a link as well so we can actually read what you're putting forward)

6. Hero of the Year
Who has been the best babyface of 2017?

7. Villain of the Year
Who has been the most diobolical heel of 2017?

8. Hardcore 24/7 Match of the Year
What was the BEST Hardcore 24/7 submission of 2017?

9. Best Storyline
What has the best storyline of 2017 been?

10. Best Single Moment of 2017
What single moment- be it in a match, a promo or elsewhere in the in-character sections- was the absolute best moment of the year?

11. Feud of the Year
What has been the best feud of the year?

12. Breakout Star of the Year
Of all of the brand new stars to grace the XWA over the last twelve months, who has made the biggest impact and been the best of the lot?

13. Best Finisher
Who has the best finisher of everyone who has been part of the active roster over the year? Consider how it has been implimented, how it has been built to in matches and it's effectiveness as factors.

14. Best 'One-Shot' Appearance
We had lots of people make appearances in XWA who wouldn't normally appear for us, be it in tournaments or otherwise. Who was the BEST of these and made the most impact?

15. Best Social Media Presence
Twitter's become a bigger deal for XWA this year than it ever has been, so hence the introduction of this award. Who had the best in-character social media presence of 2017?

Things to bare in mind:
- The calendar year starts from XWA Untouchable to XWA Legends. You can nominate anything/one that happened over that time.
- Before anyone asks, yes you can vote for your own stuff...just be sensible about it!
Need catching up on the current Runaways/Final story arc going into Legends? Look here!
DJS
Site Admin

Re: Piledriver Awards 2017: Nomination Thread!

Postby DJS » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 pm

I'll start off with mine, I suppose!

1. Most Valuable Player
I'm nominating Michael Swift for this. He's booked Massacre for most of the year, he's helped organise tournaments and brought ideas to the table while being an excellent go-to for a second-opinion on anything ALL while running his own character too.

Minka Carter's handler. The character, in it's current form, is bloody daft and by all means shouldn't work. But it does. The way Minka's handler has written the character and taken her from a fairly cookie-cutter blonde babyface into the most vile, psychotic, obsessive woman wasn't going to be easy but it was done in such a refreshing way that it worked.

Smith Jones gets my nomination for this. He's consistent, he's been both a heel AND a face this year and still been great in both roles, his promos are brilliant as well as his matches and he's ended the year as TV champ, deservedly so imo.

4. Match of the Year
Smith Jones vs. Michael Swift at XWA Untouchable
viewtopic.php?f=184&t=7231

An excellent example of a comeback match from Smith Jones, a step-up from Michael Swift. For a match put together with a month of build-up, this delivered on all levels and for that I think it deserves a nomination.

5. Promo of the Year
Mutiny - A.J. Morales
viewtopic.php?f=220&t=7510

Details everything the character's about and explains why he is the way he is. Nominating that.

6. Hero of the Year
A.J. Morales (again). Good-natured but tough. Every single thing he has done this year has been in aid of stopping someone or something bad. Whether it's calling out the Survivors, facing off with DJS and Minka Carter or seemingly starting to butt heads with Smith Jones since Legends, A.J. is XWA's answer to Superman.

7. Villain of the Year
Lx-Tim got my nomination last year and I'm gonna give it to him again this year. He is such a Grade-A piece of shit. This year, Tim has successfully-
- Swooped in and won the Supreme XWA Title for himself
- Been so terrible a human being that he essentially forced Jerod Barnez to become default babyface in their match and THEN put him on the shelf
- Brought in his annoying cousin Grandeza
- Kicked the ever loving shit out of his annoying cousin Grandeza

And that's not even everything he's done, but he's done it all with a smile on his face.

There have been some SUPER creative submissions this year and I'm sure the best ones will all get nominated, but I fucking LOVED the fight in the lift between Laurel Anne Hardy and the Lynx. That is a prime example of the kind of stuff I always wanted to see in Hardcore 24/7. So that's my nomination.

9. Best Storyline
The gradual deterioration of Minka Carter.

The Smith Jones heel turn on Massacre #21.

SO unexpected and so well done and needs a nomination.

11. Feud of the Year
Minka Carter vs Emery Layton

What's weird is I feel like I've been involved in the vast majority of the feuds this year cos of the Survivors arc being so all-encompassing so I hate to be that guy here. I'm nominating Minka/Emery for the fact that it's been such a catalyst for so many things between both of them and due to the fact they STILL hate each other now!

I feel like it's too easy to nominate A.J. or Minka or whomever cos I'm sure they'll end up getting nominated anyway, so I'm going to go with someone who genuinely impressed me the first time he wrote a match here, and that- ladies and gents- is Babyface Jake himself, Jake Rogers. He's my nomination.

13. Best Finisher
"No Laughing Matter" by Jester fucking RULES.

We can nominate several people so I'm going to nominate three that stuck out to me

Cassius Reed - He was bloody brilliant during the Lord of the Ring tournament, both on Twitter in terms of building it up, getting invested in it and also his match submissions. And he voted too!
Uncanny Socialites (Kelsey /Rebecca) - I think at the time, I called their submission in the Layton & Fenric invitational 'ballsy' and I'm still of that opinion.
Rose - So, not strictly from another fed (he's an XWA Hall of Famer ffs!) but Rose appearing in the LOTR this year AND showing AND being just as good now as he was all those years ago was genuinely impressive and he deserves at least a shot at this award.

14. Best Social Media Presence
@MinkaCarterXWA. I genuinely look out for tweets from Minka and her replies to people.
Need catching up on the current Runaways/Final story arc going into Legends? Look here!
RevolutionJones
Booking Team Member
Booking Team Member
Characters Handled: A.J. Morales
Hyphy Machinery (Dontell Porter & Jason Moana)

Postby RevolutionJones » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Ahh, fuck. Accidentally overwrote DJS's OP when I tried to cast my votes. My bad. Made as many fixes as I could to restore it.

Anyway, here's my actual votes...

----

1. Most Valuable Player
DJS. He does so much to keep this site going, handles the social media side, all while running multiple compelling characters and finding time to help show new people the ropes, as he did for me over the course of the year.

XxChronoTrigxX. Every time I saw a new submission from him, I knew it was gonna be worth stopping everything and reading it.

Kryptops. Although he wasn't around for that long this year, he showed a constant willingness to experiment and push his character in different directions. I think with a return for 2018 and a chance to harness that energy a little more, he'll be something special.

Lx-Tim. This character's been on an absolutely beastly tear this year, holding or challenging for basically every belt around and putting in top-notch material in everything he does.

4. Match of the Year
A.J. Morales vs. Minka Carter, District XWA. I'm trying to minimize my submissions involving my own characters, but I had to put this one up for how down-to-the-wire the votes went. I think we held the entire results release up for like 2 or 3 days, that's how close it was.

Diamond Jack Sabbath vs. Smith Jones, 2 out of 3 Falls at XWA If You Want Blood. Just an absolute slobberknocker of a read with a great, personal feud behind it.

5. Promo of the Year
"Free to Be Me" by Lx-Tim. There's returning from injury, and then there's getting an entire arena's hopes up, only to dash those hopes, double-cross your own cousin in the process, and remind everyone exactly how much of a douchebag you are. Tim does the latter, and it's absolutely brilliant to watch it all unfold.

"I Fought Piranhas" by Layton & Fenric. I know this is a crosspost from IYHWF, but no other piece this year changed my perspective on a character quite the way this one did for Fenric.

6. Hero of the Year
Emery Layton. Watching her rise through the ranks and undergo all the character development she did has been an absolute joy, and the fact that she's closing out 2017 as our Supreme Champion is all too fitting.

7. Villain of the Year
Minka Carter. She strikes just the perfect balance between having an over-the-top supervillain personality and being a very real, psychotic danger to face in the ring.

Kryptops vs. A.J. Morales. Oh, God, this feels even more egotistical than the other self-nomination...but at the same time, this was a blast to write, and of all the matches I wrote with no collaborations, this is the one I'm proudest of.

The Lynx vs. Lx-Tim. It uses the bar setting perfectly to tell a classic story of brains versus brawn.

9. Best Storyline
The gradual falling-apart of Diamond Jack Sabbath's sanity and career.

Lx-Tim reveals his whole "I'm sorry, I'm gonna be a better person" speech at District XWA as a lie.

11. Feud of the Year
Diamond Jack Sabbath vs. Amy Taylor. This one ran through the entire year and interacted with so many other plotlines before wrapping up perfectly at Legends. Gotta give this one a shout-out.

Minka Carter. You knew this one was coming.

Also, if The Jester is eligible for the category (I know he's a Hall of Famer, but he hadn't been here since before the relaunch), I'll put a nomination in for him too. He got back in the swing of things so fast, it's like he never left, and he's established himself as a force to be reckoned with.

13. Best Finisher
Emery Layton's Prikasa.
Minka Carter's Snake Strike.

DJS already covered all my nominations. (Dammit, DJS!)

@TheEmeryLayton. What can I say? Her Twitter is good craic.
Smith Jones

Postby Smith Jones » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:18 pm

1. Most Valuable Player
DJS. Do I even need to explain why?

XxChronoTrigxX . LX-Tim is one character who always makes me care about what's going on in his career and in the ring. Big fan of Tim!

Emery Layton. She was annoyingly lovable from day one. I often find myself envious of the attention she constantly gets. She has earned it!

4. Match of the Year
Legends Main Event: Michel Swift vs LX-Tim vs Emery Layton. Both submissions are top notch and show incredible heart in all three truly worthy competitors. It's always great to see people put their hearts into this and show how much it means to them. Great reads.
http://www.xwabattlezone.com/XWA/viewtopic.php?f=195&t=7857

5. Promo of the Year
I'm having trouble navigating the I'm Calling You Out section of the site, so I may have to revisit this. I do think the Legends Press Conference deserves a nom. A lot of good stuff from an excellent cross section of the present and past XWA roster.

6. Hero of the Year
AJ Morales. Big impact from the beginning by AJ and he just keeps getting stronger. Vanquishing DJS gives him all the street cred in the world. "A-J! A-J! A-J!"

7. Villain of the Year
DJS. Smarmy and smug with the ability to back it up. I hate DJS!

With apologies, I don't have a nomination for this category.

9. Best Storyline
The fall of The Survivors, hands down. I suck at large collaborative storylines and I actually think they often fall flat, but this is one clear case where watching Team XWA go head to head with The Survivors was well worth it. Well done by all involved!

Emery Layton cashes in! The Main Event that was billed already had my attention. THEN she cashes in!!?! Sick. Didn't expect it until next year, tbh.

11. Feud of the Year
DJS vs AJ. I feel that I've given these two a lot of attention, but they're worked hard for it. Just going with the first names that come to mind. It was instant. I thought of these two first for Feud of the Year.

AJ Morales. But star from the very first moment. Something appealing about the character even though there are many parts of me that want to hate AJ Morales.

13. Best Finisher
Minka Carter's Snake Strike was one of the most difficult finishers I've had to come up with a counter for. Ever! It took me forever to come up with a way from her finisher into mine. It almost broke my brain. High impact and stylish, the Snake Stirke is a dangerous weapon.

Rose. There was something about seeing him show up that really inspired me to work harder on Smith Jones. There was something about Rose' presence in the locker room that actually took me to a slightly higher level during 2017. Thank you, Rose!

Emery Layton and AJ Morales. I don't even want to care. I wish I could ignore them both! But Emery and AJ are both interesting individually and as a pair. I'm sure we'll see more from them both. I would also like to nominate Alex Carter and Jake Rogers. All four of these people are the future of the XWA. They keep eyes on the product in a way that not everyone has the ability to do.

*** I would like to add a category if possible ***

16(?). One To Watch
I really like Johnny Coolbreeze! If he keeps at this and also finds new ways to keep the gimmick fresh, Coolbreeze will do well in this biz. I expect entertaining times from this guy!

Also, I would like to publicly volunteer to present this award if/when the time comes.
@imSmithJones
DJS
Site Admin

Postby DJS » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Smith Jones wrote:5. Promo of the Year
I'm having trouble navigating the I'm Calling You Out section of the site, so I may have to revisit this. I do think the Legends Press Conference deserves a nom. A lot of good stuff from an excellent cross section of the present and past XWA roster.

For the record, everyone- it'd be in the Xperience Archive now, in the specific section for whatever show the promo was featured on!
Michael Swift
Booking Team Member
Booking Team Member

Postby Michael Swift » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:22 am

Only putting in nominations for people/things that haven't been mentioned yet.

1. Most Valuable Player
-

Styg. Both Laurel and Ookami had great storylines earlier this year about their respective breakdowns and tons of unique/creative moments.

Lx-Tim. Tim got the Supreme title back in January and held it for almost six months.
Michael Swift. It has been a pretty good year for Swift, though it started losing steam in the latter half. Still, earned and retained the Supreme title for a large chunk of time, and only racked up two losses across eight super shows.

4. Match of the Year
Michael Swift vs Lx-Tim. Admittedly self indulgent, but I put in a ton of work into this match, and think it came out well enough, even if it was uncontested due to RL stuff with Tim.
Drake Dysfunction vs The Jester. Looking back, this was legitimately an amazing set of matches that came down to the wire.
Emery Layton vs Laurel Anne Hardy Another set of crazy great matches, and a big personal moment for Emery.

5. Promo of the Year
This Is My Company - Jerod Barnz. God, I forgot how much I missed Barnz "I AM THE BEST AND YOUR TRASH!" shit.

6. Hero of the Year
-

7. Villain of the Year
The Jester. Name a single nice thing The Jester did all year. Go ahead, I'll wait.
The Lynx. He resulted in the creation of Minka Carter. I think that deserves a small nod.

Laurel Anne Hardy vs Alex Krull. I'll admit there was a lot of efed fanservice, but it was quality fan service.

9. Best Storyline
#OokaminoChill. It may have been short, but Ookami absolutely loosing her shit was amazing.
Emery and Adam trying to get along...sorta. There was a point that every massacre I was looking forward to the adventures of Emery and Fenric.

-

11. Feud of the Year
DJS vs Basically Everyone. I don't think there was a single person DJS didn't piss off.
Trevor Miller vs Austin Carter. Austin is still feeling the effects of this fed, it went that downhill for him. In a world with limit consequences for actions, this was real intense.

-

13. Best Finisher
Critical Hit - Michael Swift. This is still my favorite baby.

Max Hopper. I may have voted against him for his match, but holy shit, looking back, his match was crazy hype. I would love to see him here again.

Laurel Anne Hardy. More earlier this year, but Laurel put in great work during her slow descent into exhaustion ruining her life.

16. One To Watch
Ethan Giles. Creative as fuck, will be a joy to read in the coming year.
Jake Rogers. It has been said many times, but Jake is real good. Will be great to see him continue.

Don't take that last number as official news, just maybe an endorsement.
DJS
Site Admin

Postby DJS » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:48 am

I'm counting One To Watch. I like that category- it stays!

Also, closing this off now cos I gave till I said I would. Voting threads up soon!

Return to “Piledriver Awards 2017”